Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clunk (noise) when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:53 PM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

Here are some updates: since my original post I have made these modifications: One piece aluminum steeda DS, Blowfish bracket and Whiteline insert. With the DS swap, the clunk has improved by about 70%, give and take. Blowfish and whiteline have improved the 2nd to 3rd lockout regardless of how hard you accelerate or turn, they have disappeared almost completely. I feel this is how the mustang, at least the GT ones, should have came from the factory.
I am 49 and every car that I have bought, from the $600 used Mazda with 140,000 miles on it during my high school and college to brand new cars, including this mustang,have been manual. I never had any car to make these noises and the manufacturer (dealers) say it is normal. If it is, this is a poor design.
Anyways, after spending about $1200.00 on these upgrades, this is a car that I can drive without being bothered by the noises. Cheers
Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM
jwslaw

Wow.... very informative thread, i just purchased a 2012 manual a week ago and very quickly learned the noises of this drivetrain as described herein. At first I thought I had lemon on my hands but after tooling around in all manners (hitting it and honestly verging on abit scared to trying to plow through heavy freeway traffic going either 1-4 or starting in 2nd) I see it does take some time, and skill to drive this vehicle without much lash and noise.

Then again my last few vehicles were fwd manuals with less than 200hp let alone 400.

In any event, I could understand and handle this in a $20k vehicle but certainly not what one should find in whatever a 16Rousch costs. Driven Porsches and Vettes that certainly had significantly less lash and noise.

The car is a beast and can't wait to climb back in the morning.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:40 PM
nashirsyed

This might be an old thread but I recently got a 2015 Mustang GT CPO from a Ford Dealership.

I seem to be having the same noise issues.
First there is a thud when I shift into a gear.
Secondly, sometimes when I shift, I can hear a sound that resembles a few small rocks in a tin can shaking... Clunking? I am not sure how to describe it..

Is this normal too?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 AM
jwslaw

Nashirsyed, earlier in the thread one member stated that if you give it some gas before releasing the clutch (believe he stated as is done on turbo engines) you can eliminate that clunking sound while shifting into 2nd. I took the advice and doing so I eliminated 80-90% of that clunk or thud I previously experienced quite frequently. I don't give it too much gas, just enough to raise the RPMs 1000 -2000 higher. I think it has something to do with matching the RPMS of the transmission to the engine.

whether you should have to do this is another story and beyond my knowledge but it did work for me.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:13 AM
nashirsyed

Originally Posted by jwslaw
Nashirsyed, earlier in the thread one member stated that if you give it some gas before releasing the clutch (believe he stated as is done on turbo engines) you can eliminate that clunking sound while shifting into 2nd. I took the advice and doing so I eliminated 80-90% of that clunk or thud I previously experienced quite frequently. I don't give it too much gas, just enough to raise the RPMs 1000 -2000 higher. I think it has something to do with matching the RPMS of the transmission to the engine.

whether you should have to do this is another story and beyond my knowledge but it did work for me.

So is this normal with every mustang 2015?
The sound doesn't mean I'm hurting the car does it?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:34 AM
jwslaw

this is my first Mustang ....so IDK if they all do it. from what I read in previous posts I think the answer is yes to whether its normal and No to whether its hurting the car (at least I sure hope so cause I bought mine used and there is no warranty)

if you have not already done so, read thru all the messages in this post....I did and there is a lot of interesting info.

I would say enjoy the power, have fun but be safe, and don't worry....looks like yours in under warranty!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:09 PM
RCROSS

Default 2012 GT clunk after releasing clutch while shifting

I have a 1 piece aluminum drive shaft, Barton shifter & loudmouth exhaust. I have 20K miles on it. Every shift ends in a clunk like a loose U-joint. I jacked up the car and checked each connection. It seams like the output of the MT82 has rotational play, maybe 1/2" when in gear. I think that this is the source of the noise. Is this normal? Is the clunk due to damaged MT82? Anyone have a similar experience?

How can I test to make sure its the MT82?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM
jwslaw

Originally Posted by RCROSS
I have a 1 piece aluminum drive shaft, Barton shifter & loudmouth exhaust. I have 20K miles on it. Every shift ends in a clunk like a loose U-joint. I jacked up the car and checked each connection. It seams like the output of the MT82 has rotational play, maybe 1/2" when in gear. I think that this is the source of the noise. Is this normal? Is the clunk due to damaged MT82? Anyone have a similar experience?

How can I test to make sure its the MT82?

since I revived this thread, I will chime in, but please note I am new to these Mustangs with limited experience driving late model high powered vehicles.

However, I can say this....since taking another member's advise to lead the upshift with some gas, about another 1000 RPMs or so, I rarely experience the cluck noise. if you've tried this and still have the noise, maybe you should have it checked out by a mechanic? I recently bought a 2012 GT/CS manual so I should have the same transmission although everything is stock on my vehicle (for the time being!)

I still have a bit of resistance with the shifter going into 2nd gear every now and then, but thinking this is normal.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 AM
RCROSS

Default Clunk when shifting

Originally Posted by jwslaw
since I revived this thread, I will chime in, but please note I am new to these Mustangs with limited experience driving late model high powered vehicles.

However, I can say this....since taking another member's advise to lead the upshift with some gas, about another 1000 RPMs or so, I rarely experience the cluck noise. if you've tried this and still have the noise, maybe you should have it checked out by a mechanic? I recently bought a 2012 GT/CS manual so I should have the same transmission although everything is stock on my vehicle (for the time being!)

I still have a bit of resistance with the shifter going into 2nd gear every now and then, but thinking this is normal.
Thanks.
I have a variety of bolt on mods on my GT, drive shaft, intake 302, Steada 110 mm, throttle body 90 mm, custom tunes, Barton shifter, front sway bar, frame stiffening members, 80 lb injectors, rear adjustable link and control arms, loud mouth axel back exhaust, 3 inch mid pipes. The car rocks!

I am thinking that the MT82 is going to fail. It has always made some noise along with the usual suspension issues that have now disappeared. I can't tell if it is getting any worse or not. There is no problem getting into gear, just an clunk that feels like loose U-joints and excessive play at output of MT82.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM
jwslaw

Originally Posted by RCROSS
Thanks.
I have a variety of bolt on mods on my GT, drive shaft, intake 302, Steada 110 mm, throttle body 90 mm, custom tunes, Barton shifter, front sway bar, frame stiffening members, 80 lb injectors, rear adjustable link and control arms, loud mouth axel back exhaust, 3 inch mid pipes. The car rocks!

I am thinking that the MT82 is going to fail. It has always made some noise along with the usual suspension issues that have now disappeared. I can't tell if it is getting any worse or not. There is no problem getting into gear, just an clunk that feels like loose U-joints and excessive play at output of MT82.

wow....impressive, I bet it does Rock and hard. Having just bought mine and coming from a 185hp Mazda 6, I am already pretty impressed with the stock power but you know how that goes...always looking for more. While I certainly hope your tranny holds up, I do wonder about mine every now and then. It seems fairly sturdy but can be a little clunky going into 2nd.

I plan to first replace the exhaust and possibly air intake. I know many say the intake is a waste but I like the sound and if it did not do something then why do they come stock on the GT350's? Also, I can attest to a significant power increase when we dualed the exhaust and put a K&N intake on our Avalanche....not just noise but a real difference you could feel when it pushed you back into your seat when hitting it.

Then I was thinking cams as believe it or not on "Girls Garage" I saw where they changed out the camshafts on a late model 5.0 and stated it brought on fairly significant power increases, especially down low where my stock car is admittedly a bit weak. However, I am a bit hesitant to do any tunes! probably should not be so (no warranty on mine anyhow), but just have fears of failures. I take it your tune did not cause any issues?

lastly, I too already had some suspension issues in that the car makes a creaking sound when coming to a stop. The dealer claims they fixed it by replacing some "control arms" but the creaking is back after only a week. the dealer also stated this is a known issue with Mustangs especially if you go over speed bumps (sounds a bit like BS). Since I have to get my recalled air bag replaced I was thinking of asking Ford what the deal is and if they really even replaced these control arms.

Quick Reply: Clunk (noise) when shifting gears