Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Missing a gear and hitting limiter

Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Default limiter

My car is bama tuned, but before the tune , when i hit the limiter (after missing a gear or something usually) the engine basically cut fuel and was silent when i hit the limiter. Now the car is loud when i miss a gear and seems to rev higher than 7000, very loud. Ive had no issues and the car runs fine but i was wondering if bama changes how the rev limiter works, raises the rev limit, or what exactly causes the limiter to be so different after bama tune. I have the steeda CAI and bama 93 race tune.

Car runs amazingly though and ive done this a few times with no issues, so im not too concerned, just curious as to what causes the difference.

Last edited by Andy13186; 06-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM
NoVa5.0

A Bama tune removes the rev limiter, removes the skip-shift and lock-out on the gears.

You need to be very careful with your shifting and revs, or you'll grenade your motor. It is now possible for you to go 1st-2nd....and then back into 1st instead of 3rd. Do that, and you're buying a new motor.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 PM
mustlemn
1st Gear Member

Andy13186 I would say be careful not to hurt your engine.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoVa5.0
A Bama tune removes the rev limiter, removes the skip-shift and lock-out on the gears.

You need to be very careful with your shifting and revs, or you'll grenade your motor. It is now possible for you to go 1st-2nd....and then back into 1st instead of 3rd. Do that, and you're buying a new motor.
This cant be true because ive held it on the limiter in 2nd gear for a while during a burnout and it stayed steady. Missing a gear though theres no load and it does seem to go high for a sec.. or something. Also i think it would be almost impossible to get it into 1st instead of 3rd while over like 40 mph

Hopefully some american muscle or bama guys can give some info.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andy13186
This cant be true because ive held it on the limiter in 2nd gear for a while during a burnout and it stayed steady. Missing a gear though theres no load and it does seem to go high for a sec.. or something. Also i think it would be almost impossible to get it into 1st instead of 3rd while over like 40 mph

Ford uses fuel cut to limit RPM's to 7,000 from the factory. I confirmed with the Bama Team that they also use fuel cut to limit RPM, but raise the limiter to 7,300 RPM with their tunes. Also, for customers with the Boss Intake manifold, the limiter is raised to 7,600 RPM.

When you miss a gear, have you seen it go higher than 7,300 RPM? It shouldn't unless you literally engage the tranny in the wrong gear.

Shane
Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Ford uses fuel cut to limit RPM's to 7,000 from the factory. I confirmed with the Bama Team that they also use fuel cut to limit RPM, but raise the limiter to 7,300 RPM with their tunes. Also, for customers with the Boss Intake manifold, the limiter is raised to 7,600 RPM.

When you miss a gear, have you seen it go higher than 7,300 RPM? It shouldn't unless you literally engage the tranny in the wrong gear.

Shane
No, I havent seen it go higher than 7000 actually but im usually watching the road, its just loud for a second when i go wide open throttle with no load on the engine. Mabe the new intake noise is just making it much louder than it used to be around 7k+. With the stock tune the fuel was cut for like a solid second which really sucked, and with the bama tune it seems like it cuts fuel for like 1/10th of a second which is amazing.

Thanks for the response and i love the tune and service. Car runs amazing. I have about 10k miles on bama tunes and its been flawless so far, both pre and post steeda intake.

The comment about bama removing the gear lockouts is incorrect also, right? As far as i know there would be no reason to change that at all in a tune, it may not even be tuneable...

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-20-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

No, I havent seen it go higher than 7000 actually but im usually watching the road, its just loud for a second when i go wide open throttle with no load on the engine. Mabe the new intake noise is just making it much louder than it used to be around 7k+. With the stock tune the fuel was cut for like a solid second which really sucked, and with the bama tune it seems like it cuts fuel for like 1/10th of a second which is amazing.

Thanks for the response and i love the tune and service. Car runs amazing. I have about 10k miles on bama tunes and its been flawless so far, both pre and post steeda intake.

The comment about bama removing the gear lockouts is incorrect also, right? As far as i know there would be no reason to change that at all in a tune, it may not even be tuneable...
Andy13186,

Okay great! It sounds like everything is operating as normal. The engine may be a little louder at 7k RPM because of the CAI, as you mentioned.

I'm positive Bama does not remove the gear lockouts. In fact, I don't think it's tunable for these cars, but even if it was. There's no reason for Bama to remove them. That wouldn't benefit anyone for any reason that I can imagine.

Glad I could help you out here. If there's anything else I can assist you with, please let me know!

Shane
Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

This is called a mechanical over rev and yes it is possible.
The rpm limiter and fuel shutoff can not stop it.

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

Shane
What he said.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM
mustlemn
1st Gear Member

How much difference 7000 vs 7300 RPM will make?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
This is called a mechanical over rev and yes it is possible.
The rpm limiter and fuel shutoff can not stop it.

What he said.
I said almost impossible to get it in the gear, it will be hard to get it into first gear it wont just slip in, and the tune has no effect on this so its somewhat irrelevant. Ill be careful though.

Its hasnt "now become possible to misshift" li;ke post #2 in this thread said. its always been possible before and after tune , correct?

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing a gear and hitting limiter