Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need transmission advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

A couple years ago I upgraded to a Hurst short through shifter. It now has a slight wining sound. The wining might be coming from your new shifter. In my case the little bit of extra wine I now have is worth it because of the the improvement in the shifting.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKRA
A couple years ago I upgraded to a Hurst short through shifter. It now has a slight wining sound. The wining might be coming from your new shifter. In my case the little bit of extra wine I now have is worth it because of the the improvement in the shifting.
Not sure what the Hurst shifter actually replaces component wise but I doubt it "caused" the whine. Replacing the upper part of the shifter and replacing the sound mat should not affect NVH. Lower box and/or rear mount replacement could certainly allow more noise or whine into the cabin. Gears wear over time. Bearings wear over time. Fluids thin over time. All could increase whine. I agree with you that a bit more noise for a lot better shifting is a good trade. I'm going to be installing my MGW soon. Hoping for a more solid feel. Ill trade for a bit more NVH.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 PM
basshed

Answering the original poster on Magnum XL upgrade costs: I'm working thru that mod for my 3.7l now. A fully complete kit runs around $6k with shipping. Then there's the shop supplies needed to get the transmission in the car which will be another couple hundred. I'm estimating once the weather warms up it'll take an afternoons work to pull the MT82 out and put the tremec in. That being because I've pulled mine several times now sorting out the weak clutch slave issue and it's 2nd nature. I've done several different clutches and slaves & found a ideal setup for street but it utterly falls on its face at the track where I spend a lot of my time during the summer. The benefit is worth the nearly $8k I'll have into it. That being said - the MT82 in my car just won't die - it's ragged but shifts fine when warm & the clutch is a bit glaze... but it still runs well enough for street use & holds power well up into the rpm range. Don't give up on that trans yet - get the trans isolator, stainless steel line & upgrade to the heavy exedy slave. If you can find a motorbike brake reservoir - split the clutch off the brake system & cap the unused port. That did wonders for light clutch effort during race runs not having brake heat abusing the clutch slave. Well worth the trans pull to do this yourself, just be aware first timers will take a day just to get it out without tearing anything up. It's not hard - just tedious figuring out how to get the upper four bell housing bolts out. Worse on the v8's because they're up against the fire wall and the v6 has about an extra half inch to get a hand and wrench down there. I have about 2 dozen drag passes on the car and 40-50 autocross runs - plus 28k in daily driving.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 PM
justinlevans

im new to all this and i cant figure out how to post my own post so im sorry but i am jumping in on this one for my rant. i have a 71 mustang with a 351c 2v with a weiland xcelerator intake holley 650 headers. i had to replace the timing chain and gears reasontly because the stretch was getting obvious (backfiing ect) so i installed an oe timing chain and gears correctly aligned. went to fire it up it barely starts.runs rough(backfires) timing light says 10* btdc moved the distributor around with no better results.ive replaced distributor wires plugs even valve springs in worry that i had floating valves.distributor is in correctly pointing toward #1 plug and true tdc was found countless times.rocker arms were torqued to specs along with everything else.im at a loss so anyone/ everyone please comment
Old 02-21-2015, 08:45 PM
om3n

Originally Posted by AKRA
Does it whine from 1-4, not in 5th, maybe 6th? It's not your shifter, it's probably the input shaft/bearing. It's a super common problem with the MT-82, if I were you I'd get it looked at by a decent dealer before the warranty expires.

EDIT: I also have an MGW shifter.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n
Does it whine from 1-4, not in 5th, maybe 6th? It's not your shifter, it's probably the input shaft/bearing. It's a super common problem with the MT-82, if I were you I'd get it looked at by a decent dealer before the warranty expires.

Thinking of taking mine in myself. I have to really force reverse and first gear is stiff and so is second. Currently I have the whiteline trans bushing, steeds tri-ax and the red bushing.

Should I take all this of before I go in? I haven't taken anything off other than tune when getting the car looked at, so far 2 warranty repairs and no issues.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302

Thinking of taking mine in myself. I have to really force reverse and first gear is stiff and so is second. Currently I have the whiteline trans bushing, steeds tri-ax and the red bushing.

Should I take all this of before I go in? I haven't taken anything off other than tune when getting the car looked at, so far 2 warranty repairs and no issues.
IMO, yes you should take it off. How could a dealer diagnose a shifting problem with aftermarket shifter and bushings?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bstang14
IMO, yes you should take it off. How could a dealer diagnose a shifting problem with aftermarket shifter and bushings?
Cool beans, I figured as much. Guess I'll do it some time this spring
Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n

I think aftermarket shifter mount catches harmonic vibrations from the transmission. The stock shifter hides them a little better.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:24 PM
jbchason

Default Update from original poster

First of all, thank you to all of you who offered your own theories and advice. It was definitely helpful for me to know what directions to pursue. Also, thanks to those who left more colorful comments, because I can always use a good laugh. For the benefit of all, including those who might experience similar issues, I'd like to provide an update.

The reason the car was popping out of 5th gear is because the shop that installed my clutch didn't put the transmission back in properly and is wasn't 100% straight. A well regarded (other) local Mustang specialty shop noticed this, because the pressure plate was missing a few bolts, and when they went to put them in, they noticed the holes didn't line up. Trusting them more than the previous shop, I asked them to reposition the transmission so that it was lined up properly. Lo and behold, the 5th gear issue was gone. Turns out that the way the components line up for 5th gear is more sensitive than other gears, which is why that was the only one affected by the misalignment. And yes, the previous shop did end up paying for that repair once they realized their mistake.

However, the transmission whine remained, even after replacing the Redline fluid with Ford's recommended transmission fluid. A few of you commented that it might be the short throw shifter and I'll give you this. If your transmission is making ANY noise, a short throw shifter with a bracket will transmit that noise more than the rubbery, squishy stock shifter. However, this whine was there before the shifter was installed and it got substantially worse with time. I was fortunate enough to find a local Ford dealer who acknowledged just how loud it was, and how an aftermarket clutch and shifter don't void the powertrain warranty. They went ahead and removed the transmission to find metal shavings at the bottom and a few components prematurely worn/damaged. So, they replaced the entire transmission and now there is no whine. The car shifts beautifully. All you can hear now is the music from those GT500 mufflers, and I'm enjoying driving it for the first time in 6 months.

Thank you all for your input and guidance! I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Need transmission advice