Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help With Additional Cooling on New GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

GTC, I remember those old 911s. They also had those weird cooling fans, with them being mounted front to back with the blades going in opposite directions. Also, the first generation Suzuki GSX-R had massive oil coolers, almost the size of a motorcycle radiator. Oil coolers work! Thermal break-down too, don't forget about that.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 AM
strangeshep43

I have an 05 GT an I live in Texas and it's HOT, A trick I did for cooling was to take a drill with a bit a little smaller then the honey cone shaped size and drilled holes in my Black Grill, upper and lower, half of the grill is just blocked off, you can drill pretty much all of the honey cone shape parts out and few people will ever even notice it. I did this years ago and have never had any problem with running hot, very easy,very cheep and works great.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Criticalmass

Real-World Evidence
The oil life monitoring system in a 2007 Honda Fit Sport owned by an Edmunds.com editor signaled for an oil change at 5,500 miles, due to a lot of around-town driving. Later, under highway conditions, the system (which Honda calls a "maintenance minder") came on at 7,600 miles. Clearly, the system had detected different driving conditions and adjusted accordingly.

When we had the oil changed, we captured a sample and sent it to Blackstone Laboratories. Showing the conservative nature of the oil life sensors, the analysis showed the oil had at least 2,000 miles of life left in it.

A long-term 2008 Pontiac G8 GT driven by Edmunds went 13,000 miles before the monitoring system indicated the need for an oil change. We also sent a sample of that oil to a lab for analysis. The result: The oil could actually have safely delivered at least another 2,000 miles of service. "With an oil life system, we can use the software to tailor an oil drain interval to the behavior of a certain customer," Snider said.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/oil-...g-systems.html

Basically, if you aren't racing the car, all you are doing is extending the oil life. The modern monitoring systems are designed to detect and protect and do a pretty good job of it.

However, there is nothing wrong with spending the cash to have it added if you want.

As to the 2015's all having oil coolers, it is very possible that this is due to a lower amount of airflow getting to the engine/radiator due to the new design of the vehicle.

Any Police Dept. worth their salt is going to want cars that will run all day long and run hard. So it makes sense that they would add the extra equipment. The Police Package on the Crown Vic also included HP / Torque gains as well that a private individual had no access to at the time unless they bought it at auction when the dept. was done with it.

That said my first oil change will be after 5k or whenever the monitoring system gets to around 10%. Whichever comes first. After that It'll be full synthetic forever after.

Last edited by Criticalmass; 07-31-2014 at 03:27 PM.