Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 AM
hawk 5.0

Default Accident

My wife was out yesterday a boy hit the back of my car. He was riding around the parking lot and almost hit my wife and the bag boy from Publix after hitting the car. The right rear quarter panel has a dent and scratched up bad the boy's dad said that it does not look that bad who was in the store at the time. I have seen this time and time again where someone is riding around the parking lot and not parking going between cars instead of up and down the rows of cars. Glad no one was hurt!!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:31 AM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawk 5.0
My wife was out yesterday a boy hit the back of my car. He was riding around the parking lot and almost hit my wife and the bag boy from Publix after hitting the car. The right rear quarter panel has a dent and scratched up bad the boy's dad said that it does not look that bad who was in the store at the time. I have seen this time and time again where someone is riding around the parking lot and not parking going between cars instead of up and down the rows of cars. Glad no one was hurt!!!!
I'm sorry to hear of that accident. I hope the boy's father has good insurance.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:16 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Ouch - that hurts.

Hopefully you / your wife were able to gather evidence to smooth along the the insurance claim.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I hate to be the one....... Got any pictures? How fast was he going on impact? My '95 Cobra got hit in the parking lot, it was totaled just of body damage. Not to mention the blower leaking oil, radiator leaking coolant, and the engine leaking oil. Ben both frame rails and claimed to be going 5mph before stomping the brakes in her 2009 Cadillac
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Criticalmass

Originally Posted by PeteInFlorida
I'm sorry to hear of that accident. I hope the boy's father has good insurance.
Private Property claims are a pain in the **** depending on the state. Here, cops can't do much if the accident happens on private property. They can't even issue a citation even if they know someone else was in the wrong.

How do I know? My wife was parked in her Nissan, picking up our daughter from daycare when some lady's grandmother (who wasn't used to driving the daughter's Honda Pilot). did 6 grand in damage. Even with Witnesses our Attorney is still fighting with their insurance company to pay us back for the deductible and lost wages. We have 3 witnesses including the Daycare's owner who saw the event and all say the same thing, the lady in the pilot just put it in reverse and backed right into my wife's car without looking, and they claim she was going over the posted speed limit and was backing out the wrong way (it's a one-way in and one-way out parking lot).

Then the grandfather showed up and started yelling at my wife, that's when she called me and I left work to go over there. As soon as I got there he shut the hell up and didn't say a peep until the officer got there and he started getting belligerent with my wife again. The officer just stood there and ignored it so I told the guy he needed to back the hell off of my wife or he was going to have bigger problems.

Talk about public service, the State Trooper was a total tool and looked high on top of it all. I forced the Trooper to take down the witness names and file a report, he didn't even want to do that, but I told him he wasn't leaving the scene until he did, and he finally relented when I told him I wanted his watch commander to come down.

The daycare owner has since uninvited the grandmother and grandfather from coming onto the property again and told the mother that if she had a problem with that, she could find another daycare.

Last edited by Criticalmass; 07-11-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Criticalmass
Private Property claims are a pain in the **** depending on the state. Here, cops can't do much if the accident happens on private property. They can't even issue a citation even if they know someone else was in the wrong.

How do I know? My wife was parked in her Nissan, picking up our daughter from daycare when some lady's grandmother (who wasn't used to driving the daughter's Honda Pilot). did 6 grand in damage. Even with Witnesses our Attorney is still fighting with their insurance company to pay us back for the deductible and lost wages. We have 3 witnesses including the Daycare's owner who saw the event and all say the same thing, the lady in the pilot just put it in reverse and backed right into my wife's car without looking, and they claim she was going over the posted speed limit and was backing out the wrong way (it's a one-way in and one-way out parking lot).

Then the grandfather showed up and started yelling at my wife, that's when she called me and I left work to go over there. As soon as I got there he shut the hell up and didn't say a peep until the officer got there and he started getting belligerent with my wife again. The officer just stood there and ignored it so I told the guy he needed to back the hell off of my wife or he was going to have bigger problems.

Talk about public service, the State Trooper was a total tool and looked high on top of it all. I forced the Trooper to take down the witness names and file a report, he didn't even want to do that, but I told him he wasn't leaving the scene until he did, and he finally relented when I told him I wanted his watch commander to come down.

The daycare owner has since uninvited the grandmother and grandfather from coming onto the property again and told the mother that if she had a problem with that, she could find another daycare.
It certainly sounds like a bad experience for many reasons.

You are correct that collisions off of public roadways are generally not law enforcement matters. Side note, there is no 'speed limit' in a parking lot.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d

You are correct that collisions off of public roadways are generally not law enforcement matters. Side note, there is no 'speed limit' in a parking lot.
Oh boy I had to chime in. There are no technical speed limits but insurance companies do have unsafe speeds at 10mph or over.

Quick notes: driving my cobra through side rows o empty-ish parking lot.
Bottom of 2nd gear coasting (10ish mph)
Moderate rain fall
Came up to an intersection in the lot (no yield or stop signs)
I looked left and then right just before entering
As I entered and around have way I was nailed by a 2009 Cadillac in the driver side fender. 19 year of female new to our base...

Either way it was my fault. She said she was going 5mph and slammed on her brakes. I told my company I couldn't have been going over 10. But I didn't do this one step... Look left then right then left.

All in all she drove away and had about 3k in damage. I however had cracked both front rims, both serpentine belts shredded, there was oil and coolant on the ground, and she bent both frame rails to where my buddy had to get out my door.

So yea there might be no posted speed limit, but I cap can get you for unsafe speed / reckless, or if you have an accident can be found out fault.

Obviously that girl wasn't going 5mph and stomping on her brakes
Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM
tenfifteen
1st Gear Member

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Nothing makes a car guy sicker than an accident. Hopefully your car is an easy-to-match color.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Criticalmass

👆👆👍👍
I am an insurance agent,
here in Florida such accidents on private property do not require police reports as Florida is a No Fault state. From your statement sound like the kid was clearly responsible and th claim would be handled by their insurance. I always suggest police reports and having the at fault party accept responsibility at the scene.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d

That is true about the speed limit however in Ohio u can still get a ticket for reckless operation on private property. Depending on the speed and situation of course. All citations in Ohio require u to check the box asking if there was a crash or not. It doesn't really hold a lot of value other than statistics however it will show ur actions caused a wreck and should make it easier for insurance. Idk how your state stands on that though

Quick Reply: Accident