Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 coyote engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 AM
efmustang

Default 2012 coyote engine noise

I bought my gt new three years ago and have changed the oil with mobil1 5w-20 four times. It has 31,000 miles on it now. I don't think I drive it hard, and I baby it when its cold. When it is cold or has been sitting for a few hours, if I start it and drive it the first couple of miles, it has a engine clatter that starts at 2400 rpms and above, when the accelerator is feathered. It will make the noise sitting still in neutral. It quits after the first couple if miles, or I just can't hear it. I took it to my friendly Carolina Ford dealer I bought it from. They admitted they heard the noise, and put it down as a bottom end noise. They kept it two weeks and the service write-up says they checked the oil, had it analyzed for metal, removed the serpentine belts to check for accessory noise, and performed two TSBs on it for engine noises. They said they talked to Ford about it, and Ford said it is a "normal operational noise". I asked what is it - piston slap, valve clatter, timing chain rattle or what and they would only repeat "normal operational noise". They said they checked a car just like it and got it to do it too, so they say they all do it. They said a new F150 will do it. Anybody out there have the same thing? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

My 2012 makes the same noise. It did it from day one and now I have over 80k miles on it and it still runs good.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 AM
tenfifteen
1st Gear Member

Weird that the dealer calls it bottom end noise... I hear a bit of valve chatter at idle on very cold days, I just chalk it up to oil seepage. I just keep it under 3k until the oil temp reaches normal, then under 4k until it reaches the mid way point. 22,000 miles, no issue.

Not trying to rekindle an old debate here, but I did follow a fairly rigorous break-in procedure that's worked well for me on past new cars (didn't break 4k for the first 1,000 miles), but am not sure that it has any effect.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM
efmustang

I wasn't sure about the bottom end call, either. I've heard broken piston noises before and it doesn't sound like that kind of knock. It sounds like valves with way too much lash, but odd that it only does it when I feather the gas. They said they were going to check the oil filter for metal and take the oil pan off for a look, but then they did neither. (Our local Carolina Ford service writers are experts at doing nothing, and they have an answer for everything. They first tried the old oil filter check valve routine). It doesn't sound like an expensive noise, and now I just keep it under 2000 rpm for a little bit. Much thanks, y'all.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Just a thought on my experience: Have you tried to use other oils instead of Mobile1?

I had the same noise problem and I was using the dealership's Motorcraft synthetic oil. The dealership did my 1st oil change at around 3K miles after I bought my car.

On my second and all subsequent oil changes after that, I switched to Royal Purple and the noise completely went away.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

I use the Valvoline synthetic oil and I don't have any issues.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
efmustang

Next time I change oil, I think I'll go to 10W-30 or above. The shop supervisor at the Ford store said the recommendation now for Coyotes is 5W-50 (???).
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by efmustang
Next time I change oil, I think I'll go to 10W-30 or above. The shop supervisor at the Ford store said the recommendation now for Coyotes is 5W-50 (???).
The track pack cars call for 5w-50 while the non track pack cars call for 5w-20. But they have the same engine. This is where the shop supervisor must have gotten confused. I use Amsoil 10w-30 as well as many others with no issues. UOA reports come back excellent with that oil.

Last edited by scottmach; 07-18-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Mine makes the sound too 2013 GT
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 AM
efmustang

Good info, everyone. I feel better about it now. Great forum. I don't hear the noise anymore, because I have made a habit of short-shifting and keeping it under 2000 rpm the first couple of miles. Kind of like having to adjust my start-off in my wife's '13 Focus to suit the DC automatic transmission. The dealer said "they all do that", too, like the Focus skating windshield wiper, but that's another story on the Focus forum.

Quick Reply: 2012 coyote engine noise