Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

The only "awesome" advice you'll get is, it's under warranty, take it to the dealer...unless you feel that you don't want to have it fixed under warranty and wish to chase it down yourself so as to fix it yourself? ($$).

I think the best advice besides that is to top off the oil, track it daily. 2 1/2 qts doesn't just magically disappear without being seen either as black smoke or on the ground.

You could have someone drive behind you and see if they spot any smoke. Have them tail you as you do some WOT accelerations from a stop and from 20mph. They will see it clearly if it's blowing out the tailpipes.

Or, do a cylinder leak down test...again, this will cost you time ($$) and money ($$) if you don't have the proper tools. And again, if you don't plan on fixing it yourself why bother?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
So tonight i checked my oil. I just changed my oil like only 2500miles ago. Last few days i thought I smelled a faint oil smell when driving. I just figured it was some crappy cars around me. Checked it tonight and dipstick had pretty much none on it and ended up being like 2.5qt low. Car has only 10,700miles WTF, there is no oil anywhere outside. not one wet spot under car, nothing in engine bay and nothing on floors. So it must be burning it up like mad. It didnt burn a drop from time i got it till my first oil change. I dont get on the car hard much at all either. Its dove pretty much like a grandpa majority of the time trying to see how high i can get my MPG in city. When I took off oil cap there was a very faint bit of smoke in there. I don know if maybe it was the #8 issue or what. but the car is stock engine wise. So hopefully dealer can figure it out.
As stupid as this sounds, make sure your dipstick is for the 5.0 TiVCT and not the V6 3.7L TiVCT. It sounds extremely absurd, but it has happened before.
Since your car is used, the previous owner could have lost the original dipstick and put in the V6 dipstick instead, which is much shorter.
As a result, if you fill your engine according to a V6 3.7L dipstick. you are overfilling your engine which can be as dangerous to your engine as not having enough oil.

When you go to your appointment, make sure to ask the tech to write on the order to confirm that your dipstick is the correct one.

Other than the other possible causes already beaten to death in this thread, this is the only other possible cause of a low oil reading on the dipstick.

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 GHIG GT Premium/2014 Kia Sportage AWD
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek

Its a ford, they burn oil and gas and haul a lot of ***.

Deal with it.

-4.10 Gears FRPP
-Roush Axle Backs
-BBK X-Pipe
-SCT Bama 91R Race tune
-20" Staggered Niche Apex with Initto INVO

other Vehicles:
2014 Kia Sportage AWD - Dory
1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT - Shadow

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote