Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

glad I didnt do any engine mods..Oil burning

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Default glad I didnt do any engine mods..Oil burning

So tonight i checked my oil. I just changed my oil like only 2500miles ago. Last few days i thought I smelled a faint oil smell when driving. I just figured it was some crappy cars around me. Checked it tonight and dipstick had pretty much none on it and ended up being like 2.5qt low. Car has only 10,700miles WTF, there is no oil anywhere outside. not one wet spot under car, nothing in engine bay and nothing on floors. So it must be burning it up like mad. It didnt burn a drop from time i got it till my first oil change. I dont get on the car hard much at all either. Its dove pretty much like a grandpa majority of the time trying to see how high i can get my MPG in city. When I took off oil cap there was a very faint bit of smoke in there. I don know if maybe it was the #8 issue or what. but the car is stock engine wise. So hopefully dealer can figure it out.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

dude i check my oil almost every time i go out in it..
shame you let it get low...not good for the internals doing that..
Old 07-31-2014, 04:20 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Is if smoking from exhaust? Black smoke usually indicates bottom end ring damage.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

no smoke from exhaust.
Why should I have to check my oil non stop. It didnt burn a drop before then all of a sudden it is now. If someone has to check the oil everyday on a car to make sure its ok thats a serious POS.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
no smoke from exhaust.
Why should I have to check my oil non stop. It didnt burn a drop before then all of a sudden it is now. If someone has to check the oil everyday on a car to make sure its ok thats a serious POS.
Agreed, good luck on a solution.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

My '12 burned a fair bit, upon running in, new. There's about 15,000 miles on it now and the consumption stabilized at around 10k and stopped being as heavy. My car has also made about 100 passes down the 1/4 with good results, so it was making full power the whole time. The cars like to be run in properly, not light-footed around all the time, seeking for gas mileage that isn't there. That's neither here nor there now, as that ship has sailed. I'd say have the dealer do a compression check and then mark the dipstick and see what kind of actual consumption you have over 1000 miles.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

its never been to the track and I get on it every so often to enjoy it a little but I dont drive it hard really much at all. I got an appointment for next thursday. Sucks I gotta wait so long to get in. Cause I have 2 issues this oil burning and my front suspension sounds like a old rusted bed frame going over speed bumps. I did buy it used but only had 2900 on it when I got it. It was a Ford cert car so it has a 100,000 mile warranty on it so I should be good there. I dont think it was issue from previous owner because it didnt burn anything before. then all of a sudden this past week I just noticed a oil/slight burning smell and checked oil and here I am.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

maybe just pull the intake tube and the left valve cover PCV and see if there is a lot of oil in there.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I run breathers on my car..removed the hoses a long time ago. I just cleaned them 2weeks ago and I would say the filter screens between the 2 had maybe a teaspoon or so come out of them. Never had 1 drip from them on valve covers or anything other oil in engine bay.
Thing I have run into about 2weeks ago I was looking at info center on dash and oil life was at 60% yesterday it was at 6% and today told me change oil soon. Now when i bought the car till when i did first oil change the counter on the oil life counted own slowly like I would assume it would. I feel like if the oil life counter is dropped so rapidly over 2 weeks and if the sensor thinks the oil is shot after only like 2500miles something is getting in contaminating my oil rapidly.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Criticalmass

Is there soot on the inside of the exhaust pipes? a lot of it?

The oil has to be going somewhere, so either it's burning off in the engine compartment, coming out the back, going into the radiator, Filter went bad, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: glad I didnt do any engine mods..Oil burning