Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

glad I didnt do any engine mods..Oil burning

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:46 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

If you have breathers no wonder it starts to smell like oil after a while. You need to monitor how much is being consumed in a controlled way.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

breathers have nothing to do with 2.5qts being low. When i cleaned them only about a teaspoon came out of them. if 2.5qts of oil got through them i would have oil all over my engine bay. I am not blaming them as the cause as many people run them with zero issues. I know what the oil smell is from the breathers wa use to that smell the day i put them on. the smell now is totally different a burning oil smell.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

You just aren't registering what you need to do here. You're going to take it to the dealer, fine. I would have them change the oil and filter, mark the dipstick and watch, systematically, the consumption through a bunch of normal drive cyles. If the engine is smoking or down on power, obviously there's a mechanical issue but, if it isn't, you need data on the consumption if you are going to argue a case for a remedy. Just saying the car was 2.5 quarts down isn't going to get the answer you need and I sure wouldn't admit to the dealer I ran it with a big portion of its oil missing.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd agree with oil smell coming from breathers. Your sig says "custom oil separator". Any pics of your setup?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
dude i check my oil almost every time i go out in it..
shame you let it get low...not good for the internals doing that..
That's a little excessive....almost every day.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I remember this guy. He made the "custom" oil separator from parts he bought at Home Depot. https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...separator.html

What grade of oil did you use at the last oil change? My car had 5W-20 from dealer with 29.5K miles, and it used a little more than 2 qts before my first oil change. I switched to 5W-30 full synthetic and it uses less than 1 qt between changes now. Take it to the dealer, but ask them if maybe you should start using a different grade. The track pack cars are now recommended to use 5W-50.

There is some good advice already on this thread. My advice is to use some of it!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:06 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Did you put enough oil in it to begin with? Since this was your first oil change did you guess on the amount of oil needed or did you confirm through the manual.

I changed the oil in my GT but since I rarely drive it and daily my fox I just put in the amount for the fox out of habit. I couldnt figure out how I was low right after a oil change until I looked in the manual and realized I didn't put enough to begin with.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:09 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I switched to breathers along time ago instead of any catch can. I ran 5w20, my appointment is tomorrow for checkup
I really havnt seen any awesome advice in this thread. Just stuff that any person would obviously look at
yes i put 8qts in it when I did the oil change.
I added the 2qts last week and just in about 150miles it looks to have burned off a little of that already. when I added it I got it to the middle of the hash marks on the stick. now its just a little above the bottom hole on the stick
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Pretty common issue on the Coyote engine from what I've read at other forums. It seems to stabilize after a few oil changes and more miles.

EDIT: I'll add that you need to DRIVE it. This isn't a 351 from 1960, it's a modern engine with TIGHT tolerances. The break-in period is what, 500 miles if that? The oil consumption issues seem to be worse on folks that baby the car.

Last edited by hootie_john; 08-06-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I really havnt seen any awesome advice in this thread. Just stuff that any person would obviously look at
What type of "awesome advise" are you looking for exactly?
The car didn't use any oil until its first oil change. If it isn't leaking, and its not puffing smoke, then you either you didn't put enough in the first time or its time to pull the motor apart and replace the rings. That's your only option to fix it or you can just deal with it.

Quick Reply: glad I didnt do any engine mods..Oil burning