Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How to inspect for a tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Nohippychicks

Default How to inspect for a tune?

My new-to-me 2012 GT is throwing me a few surprises. At the dealer, I was told that it was 100% stock except for muffler deletes and removal of some form of sound tube in the engine compartment that allowed the driver to hear more engine noise; I was probably told this because I told the dealer I'd like a 100% stock vehicle.

Anyhow, turns out that there's a little more to it than stock minus mufflers.

I've found some form of MBRP exhaust, what appears to be an SR Performance shifter and bracket, a J&M adjustable panhard bar, Koni orange struts and some form of blue springs that I can't ID.

Under the hood, everything APPEARS to be stock, short of the removal of the sound tube thing.

I did find a suspicious looking K&N "Life time filter," warning sticker floating around in the trunk, but inspection of the air filter reveals a standard paper unit living in a stock filter housing.

So it would seem that all of this adds up to "There should be a tune here somewhere." Question is, how can I find if there's a tune and what it may be? Can a dealer sniff this out? Am I just SOL and now have an unknown factor that I get to deal with?

Last edited by Nohippychicks; 01-24-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

K&N doesn't mean there's a tune, they're not needed with a k&N. K&N's are for newbies, waste of money. If all they had was a cheap K&N, they didn't spend money for a tune. If stock filter and box is in, chances are 99% there is no tune loaded

Last edited by jpplaw; 01-24-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Well...except for the Procal tune, which comes with the K&N as part of the package. That one is pretty safe though, I've been bagging on mine for 3 years with that tune.

The blue springs are probably Ford P springs.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Grats on the new to you car!

Going to be hard to tell just by the color, I've had Roush springs that are blue, now have Steeda springs that are blue.

Maybe you can get a part number off the springs, then Google the number, might get lucky.

The only way I can think that you'd find out if it has a tune is if you connect a tuner to it. I connected a tuner to my car after the tuner was repaired and the stock tune was lost from the tuner, basically a new tuner, it wouldn't proceed because the car wasn't returned to stock. Some how it recognized that the tune wasn't stock. That was an older Xcal 2, the newer tuners may not do the same.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:04 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Ford IDS can check if there has been multiple flashes to the car but not what was flashed.

If the car rev hangs, has skip shift and moves like molasses flowing uphill off the line, one can safely assume it is stock. If it revs hard, has strong low end torque and no skip shift, it has a tune on it.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Nohippychicks

The skipshift was still there, but everything besides that is subjective.

1>4 shift is disabled now; the rest will probably stay as is. Thanks for the information, all!