Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Custom tune on a '13 auto with boss IM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Default Custom tune on a '13 auto with boss IM?

Hey guys,

Skip this background info if you just want to get to my questions:
I sold my mustang a few months back but I was lucky enough to pick up a new one that is modded in an eerily similar manner to my car. (I'll get pics soon). The two main differences is it already has a Boss IM on it and it's auto. My previous car was MT and no Boss IM. The seller states the IM was installed by Ford and has 100% factory tune. Now I know that has to mean a tune by Ford after the IM as it requires a tune but I'm thinking I can do better. I had a Steeda tune in my previous car and was pretty impressed with it. I do feel like the shift points are way too low right now. It seems counter-intuitive even. The main power increase is over 6k rpm and the car never hits that before it shifts. I would think a custom tune would increase the shift rpm to get a better gain from the new IM.

So here's my questions:
1) Is the factory Ford tune after a boss IM install as conservative as the factory tune on a regular GT? Should I expect the big difference in seat dyno for this AT like I saw in my MT?

2) If so, any opinions on company? I was very happy with Steeda so I'm inclined to just go back to them unless there are other companies that are better with the AT specifically.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The Boss Intake requires a custom tune. Plus an auto requires a converter to work with the Boss Intake effectively. Ask me how I know.

Mike Rousch is the go to guy for tuning the autos.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

It's already got the manifold installed.

Based on his website, I didn't see any mail tune options. While I know Dyno is the way to go for the best results, I'm not driving to VA or paying for a dyno tune.

I do appreciate the information but I'll have to stick with a SCT and the best option for a "canned" tune.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Contact Mike Rousch @ Mid Atlantic Performance and he'll get you squared away. Yes he does do email tunes as does everyone else today. He is the best option for the auto going although AED and Lund are two other excellent choices.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:02 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

I checked with Steeda first since I was pleased with the tune they did on my '14 MT. The tuner there told me the following:

1) If you have a Boss IM, you already have a custom tune. Better to leave well enough alone.

2) If you don't have the original sct, you can't flash back to stock so you'll have to take the car to Ford and have them flash it then park it until the new tune is emailed. Have to order the tuner blank first.

3) The tune they do on the AT only affects the shift points, it wont decrease downshifting time at all.

Needless to say, it didn't seem worthwhile to spend my $ there. After a few emails back and forth from Shaun@AED, several of which were after hours, he assured me he could tune over the top of the existing FRPP tune. Couldn't be happier with the knowledge and service from Shaun at this point.