Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Quarter Mile Times

Old 04-04-2015, 02:58 AM
dacampora

Default Quarter Mile Times

I've taken my car down the 1/4 mile on three separate occasions now as my local test & tune; Midnight Mayhem at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Ran my new personal best tonight 13.376 @ 108.21.

I've been reading a lot about what the car "should" run for being pretty much stock (Track Pack, Roush Axle backs) and keep getting 12.7 or faster.

I realize that LVMS might not be the best track for setting good times, and I was running faster that most of the other stock-appearing Mustangs (by a few tenths, usually), but is the track only to blame? I ran a best of 13.66 with the rear tires at 37PSI, and my 13.37 run tonight was at 25PSI.

Any beginner tips to get me the next half second without spending any money or going to another track?
Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Perhaps you should head over to the Speed Zone / Street - Strip forum.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Perhaps you should head over to the Speed Zone / Street - Strip forum.
You'll likely get more visibility on your post there.

What was your 60' time? That's a pretty good indicator of your impact on the run. Best advice anyone can give you is get more track time. You'll only get better.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dacampora
I've taken my car down the 1/4 mile on three separate occasions now as my local test & tune; Midnight Mayhem at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Ran my new personal best tonight 13.376 @ 108.21.

I've been reading a lot about what the car "should" run for being pretty much stock (Track Pack, Roush Axle backs) and keep getting 12.7 or faster.

I realize that LVMS might not be the best track for setting good times, and I was running faster that most of the other stock-appearing Mustangs (by a few tenths, usually), but is the track only to blame? I ran a best of 13.66 with the rear tires at 37PSI, and my 13.37 run tonight was at 25PSI.

Any beginner tips to get me the next half second without spending any money or going to another track?
The DA, or Density Altitude makes a huge difference in your ET. If you were at sea level on a 60 degree day, the same car might run that half second quicker with no other changes.

Regardless, there are always tricks to make the car run quicker at any altitude. Traction makes a HUGE difference.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:54 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

What's your 60' time? That'll tell you if traction is the problem, or launch technique generally (I bet it is, as you mph is in the ballpark of a stock tune car). Keep the faith though, a tune and tires and these cars can run 11s.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 AM
dacampora

Originally Posted by P51C
What's your 60' time? That'll tell you if traction is the problem, or launch technique generally (I bet it is, as you mph is in the ballpark of a stock tune car). Keep the faith though, a tune and tires and these cars can run 11s.
60' time on the fastest and quickest run was 2.19.

Agreed with everything above. The air was pretty good - about 58 degrees - but 2000ft elevation at LVMS and bad launch technique are (probably) partially to blame.

Car is completely stock (save for Roush Axel Backs) but I have a mail-order tune on the way. Side note: I'm hitting the rev limiter in 4th just past the cones with the stock tune. Is the tune going to require a shift into 5th? Should I be thinking about swapping the 3.73's for 3.55's? Larger tire?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

That's it then. Practice, practice, practice. don't change anything. 2.19 is gawdawful, even for the stock TP tires, with their hard sidewalls and unforgiving nature. You are either launching too high and hazing them, or too low and bogging the car.

I used a 28" tall slick tire to just keep the car in fourth at the stripe. With basically that and a mild 91 octane tune, the car runs high 11s, fully loaded. There is room for you to improve here, definitely, even without altering anything.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:06 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

With practice, you'll easily drop two tenths off of that 60-foot, which will drop four tenths out the back end. That'll give you a 12-second pass with no other changes.

Although, again, tires & suspension make a world of difference.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:52 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Try dropping the tire pressure. I found that I had more consistent 60' times on stock tires with tire pressure around 22 PSI. They were still pretty awful at ~1.90-2.00 seconds.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

trap speed of 108 mph you should be able to achieve 12.70 in the quarter mile. Get a set of drag radials for the track and practice your launch. Just remember for every 0.1 seconds you improve on your 60 ft time you should improve 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile. With traction you should be able to get 1.9 second 60 ft times if not better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quarter Mile Times