Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Back in the market for a Mustang.. need to catch up

Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
If you can get genuine gt 500 axlebacks for 180 shipped, grab them then sound fantastic, aren't loud or obnoxious. The car should have come with them.

Make sure they are the right ones. The need to have a ball clamp joint on the inlet end or you are cutting and welding.
I know they're from a 2011 or 2012 GT500. I'm not sure what the ball clamp joint would look like, but here's a picture of the inlet end.

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Agree with P51C that factory airbox is sufficient in your case, but my reasoning is a bit different. Since you plan on upgrading to a FI later, most FI kits will come with their own CAI. My Whipple kit came with its own CAI and pretty much every stage 2 and 3 kits from various manufacturers will include the CAI.

As for exhaust, I started with GT500 AB with resonators cut out for straight pipe. Before I had the Whipple installed, I upgraded the exhaust to a full 3" Flowmaster cat back kit. To be honest, I wish I would've done this in the beginning to save myself the cost of the GT500 AB ($275 at the time) and $100 to cut the resonators out. In hindsight, I wish I would've just used the $375 towards a good cat back kit. As P51C also pointed out, $180 is a good buy. Although IMHO, you may want to shop around for a full 3" cat back as a first mod.

I spoke with Shaun as well. His shop is about an hour and a half from me. I plan to have him do the tuning and he knows his stuff. If I recall, one of the early Coyote projects he worked on utilized a stock airbox and drop-in K&N filter and still made good power. It was eventually upgraded with a CAI, but this is now also a full bolt-on E85 car...which is a different end-result than what you want to ultimately do to your car.
My reason for looking at just GT500 axlebacks for now is that I am not trying to go extremely loud with this car, at least not yet. Otherwise I'd already be looking at a full exhaust since I have access to a lift and tools to do the install myself. I need to keep it OEM-like for a few months due to a little deal I made with someone. Afterwards, I can always sell the axlebacks and go with something more aggressive.

And thanks! I am loving it so far, much more power than my old Mustang. Too bad my morning commute is less than 1/8 of a mile I have to find excuses to go to stores that are across town so that I can drive.

Last edited by Roush05; 08-15-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:59 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

That's what it looks like. The ball in a ball joint is on the male end, in this case, on the over the axle pipes. GT500s and a stick car sound like the Bullitt soundtrack on low volume. It's awesome....
Old 08-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Gotcha, guess I'll make the purchase then! I wasn't really planning on buying any axlebacks at this point, but I know that if I had bought them in the future it would have been between the GT500s and the Borla S Type, and I probably won't find a better deal on the GT500s any time soon.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Nope, I paid 260 new for them a couple years ago and thought that was damn good. They were going for about 320 retail for the pair at the time, if you looked.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
Nope, I paid 260 new for them a couple years ago and thought that was damn good. They were going for about 320 retail for the pair at the time, if you looked.
Yeah, I remember them being a lot cheaper than they are now. Vendors saw the demand and bumped them up to $500! I went ahead and bought them, but probably won't be able to put them on for a couple weeks. Looking forward to it though. I ordered a tuner that is supposed to be in on Monday, and then I'm going to start datalogging for an AED tune. I wonder if there's a demand in the v6 market for stock GT mufflers. They'll just sit around at the house taking up space.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:45 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I painted mine black (except for the tips) w. flat black BBQ paint because I hated seeing the steel end cap on the muffler body below the valance. Big improvement in looks, in my mind.

There is no discernible market for used GT mufflers from anyone.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Price on the used market will continue to go down. There was a set here local for as low $150. Craigslist here in my area is saturated with GT500 AB...mines a tough sell right now.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Price on the used market will continue to go down. There was a set here local for as low $150. Craigslist here in my area is saturated with GT500 AB...mines a tough sell right now.
Well I would have bought yours if I had known. I'll probably get some borlas or something more aggressive sometime soon. Just heard another 5.0 with exhaust circling the block and it sounded really nice.

Regarding the painting, I'll have to see what you mean when I install them. And that's fine, I'll just put them in a box then.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
Well I would have bought yours if I had known. I'll probably get some borlas or something more aggressive sometime soon. Just heard another 5.0 with exhaust circling the block and it sounded really nice.

Regarding the painting, I'll have to see what you mean when I install them. And that's fine, I'll just put them in a box then.
Look at your car from the back. You see tips and the ugly back plate of the mufflers. The Gt500s are stainless so, they don't need paint protection but I think it looks better just seeing the tips
Old 08-16-2015, 09:54 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Got pictures of your new pony?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back in the market for a Mustang.. need to catch up