Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Back in the market for a Mustang.. need to catch up

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Default Back in the market for a Mustang.. need to catch up

Hey guys, I'm sure most of you don't remember me. About 3 years ago I sold my Roush and bought an amazingly tame Cruze to get me through graduate school. I told myself the day that I got the Cruze that I would buy another Mustang when I got out. Well, the time is near and I am planning to buy one within the next 2-3 months. I have been out of the mustang scene for a while, so I have a few questions to help get me up to speed.

1) Enough time has passed now that there should be enough data. What is the rough max RWHP that a 5.0 Coyote can handle without forged internals?
2) Has the FI market changed much in the last 3 years or so? Are there any new twin-screw superchargers to look at?
3) In your opinion, what supercharger will get me to at least 550 RWHP with the least effort (cost effectiveness is a bonus)
4) Are there any known problems I should know about with the 2011-2014 5.0s?
5) Finally, is there anything in general that you think I should know about the 5.0s that I might not know now? Remember, I have been completely out of the scene (other than admiring mustangs on the road) for about 3 years.

Thanks guys!

Also, I posted this in the wrong section initially and reported the post so it would be deleted, but it's been a couple days and it is still there. I don't want to spam, so is there an active mod I should message to have the other thread deleted?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I'll throw you a bone here....

1. ~650
2. No, pretty much same players
3. Any one of them will do this easily
4. If it runs and drives well and quietly, you're probably all good.
5. The Coyote is a freaking beast. You'll probably be surprised what just a plain tune can do. A bit of light exhaust work and a healthy tune will get you where your Supercharged 4.6 Roush probably was...without a blower.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Much thanks, that's all I really needed. I did some searching but most of the threads on the stock bottom end were older, and I wasn't sure where to look about newer blowers. I guess I'll get back to lurking and start trying to line up a car.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

1. I'm going a little more conservative at around the 600 RWHP mark. Be advised that it always comes down to tune. So if you are working with a custom tuner, qualify them before you have the work done. Even though 600-650 is a bit arbitrary, just know that there have been guys running less HP who still blew their motors. So there is always a risk involved when you go aftermarket.
2. As stated above, mostly unchanged. However, Whipple in the last year did bump their 50-state legal kit up from 2.3 to 2.9 and front feed. I just purchased this kit and having it installed this week.
3. As stated above, you can pretty much accomplish this with pretty much any kit plus custom tuning. However, if you are saddled in a 50-state legal environment like I am, Kenne Bell and Whipple should be good for at least 550 RWHP using their out-out-of-the-box tunes...at least based on what they are advertising. I researched these kits quite a bit in the past couple of months.
4. Agree with above...although pay some attention to the TSB's posted on the forums. That will give you an idea.
5. 5.0 Coyote kicks @ss. This is coming from a Mopar guy.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
1. I'm going a little more conservative at around the 600 RWHP mark. Be advised that it always comes down to tune. So if you are working with a custom tuner, qualify them before you have the work done. Even though 600-650 is a bit arbitrary, just know that there have been guys running less HP who still blew their motors. So there is always a risk involved when you go aftermarket.
2. As stated above, mostly unchanged. However, Whipple in the last year did bump their 50-state legal kit up from 2.3 to 2.9 and front feed. I just purchased this kit and having it installed this week.
3. As stated above, you can pretty much accomplish this with pretty much any kit plus custom tuning. However, if you are saddled in a 50-state legal environment like I am, Kenne Bell and Whipple should be good for at least 550 RWHP using their out-out-of-the-box tunes...at least based on what they are advertising. I researched these kits quite a bit in the past couple of months.
4. Agree with above...although pay some attention to the TSB's posted on the forums. That will give you an idea.
5. 5.0 Coyote kicks @ss. This is coming from a Mopar guy.
I bet you are giddy like a schoolgirl about the install. I know that georgia doesn't have strict emissions, but I may be moving soon and I'll have to check what the regulations are.

I am going to start calling dealers nearby to see what is available, and then start looking online. From what I've seen online, the cars that fit what I am looking for are all mostly in Texas or other places where getting it would be a hassle.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Vortech is also Carb legal, 50 states, fwiw. Tunes for emissions legal are pretty soft usually but Vortech makes 605 fly on their tune, claimed.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Pretty much every major supercharger manufacturer has a 50 state legal kit...Vortech, Paxton, Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush, Edelbrock, etc...

I believe OP specifically mentioned twin screw, so that would rule out Vortech, Paxton, Procharger.

Although, I do have a friend running a Vortech on an SN95 here in California and he has put a ton of miles on that car. So from a durability standpoint in year-round moderate weather, that Vortech has been pretty reliable.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
I bet you are giddy like a schoolgirl about the install. I know that georgia doesn't have strict emissions, but I may be moving soon and I'll have to check what the regulations are.

I am going to start calling dealers nearby to see what is available, and then start looking online. From what I've seen online, the cars that fit what I am looking for are all mostly in Texas or other places where getting it would be a hassle.
I was originally looking at the Roush kit before settling on the Whipple. From a pricing standpoint, the Roush is good value. My parts guy had a line on Whipple and Kenne Bell (which are local here in CA). So I reviewed the two and went with Whipple. My criteria was very specific so it's not going to appeal to everyone. Since you are not in CA, your criteria will differ...and probably be more generous than what I am working with.

In addition to the Whipple, I just upgraded my exhaust to full 3" cat back. I have a set of rear LCA waiting to go on. My next upgrade after that will be rear UCA and then clutch. So you will eventually have to plan for these things as well. After the supercharger, the clutch will probably be your weakest link.

Last edited by Thrashard340; 07-29-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I see no reason to rule anything out, especially if he's been out of the loop for a bit. That's what I love about Mustangs, so much choice; you can turn the car into anything your heart desires. Can't lie....I have a Vortech...I'd have gone twin screw but there was just no discounting on them ever and it was more than I could justify or afford.

Last edited by P51C; 07-28-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Fair enough. I think the OP has enough info here to point him in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Back in the market for a Mustang.. need to catch up