Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

If you had to start over

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 PM
1966stang
1st Gear Member

Default If you had to start over

If you started back with a stock V8, what mods would you start with to get the best bang for your buck?

Looking to do a few things to my stock 2010 GT over the holidays, but not sure where to start (tunes, throttle body, axle back, etc) assuming I don't want to spend $8k+ on a turbo.

Looked through a bunch of old threads but could find any that recommended specific ones based on cost / performance payoff

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-09-2015, 09:43 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

See my signature... I'm pretty much a happy camper.

For performance I went with the Boss 302 manifold, TB, CAI & tune. Next was the suspension. Next, hopefully in a month or two, is a dyno tune. Then, and I'm not sure when, is a big brake set up. I can't remember what I spent on the manifold setup but I didn't think it was too bad. The suspension wasn't too cheap but I picked up everything in pieces that were on sale & then had a guy I trusted install everything for me. The dyno tune is about $600 & I think it will be worth it since I have a guy that I really trust to get the most out of it.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'd buy the supercharger right away. Would've save a few hundred on CAI and would've done one tune.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I think 3:73 rear end would be cheapest.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:21 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

You ask if we were to to start over and then tell us what we couldn't do.

I wouldn't bother with any minor upgrades and go straight to forced induction, definitely the biggest bang for buck.

But if you're not interested in going FI, your biggest bang for buck would probably selling your 2010 GT and getting a 2011 GT to get the 5.0 coyote, +100HP.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool

But if you're not interested in going FI, your biggest bang for buck would probably selling your 2010 GT and getting a 2011 GT to get the 5.0 coyote, +100HP.
Forgot about the '10 having the 4.6. I would do this... That would be the best way to go IMO.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Yeah you posted in the wrong section, but starting over would be best to get an 11 or going straight to FI. For the best cost/performance(hp) its either NO2 or FI. Everything else is expensive.

The best bang for your buck at this point is a good dyno tune, but you'd be better off buying a mail order tune with a tuner until you have more mods to make it worth your while. I'd go with an axle back to get something that sounds better and lowering springs and struts. You really notice the suspension and tire mods more, you dont have to floor it to appreciate those.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:58 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I did have to start over due to this.....

So I got an automatic '14 car with all the options my old car had and I couldn't be happier.

The '12 MT82 car, I loved it but, if I am honest, it was very fast but, ultimately flawed. Noises from the trans/clutch, not particularly well coordinated handling, even with BBP. The car was raw and aggressive, definitely.

The '14 car is so different it's hard to explain. Dynamically, it's way better. The auto is brilliant, especially on a tune and no aggravations of any kind. It's more of a proper GT car and less of a muscle car but, it's just as fast as the old car was before I went FI, just better coordinated and balanced.

Thus, I'm not feeling the same urge to modify the '14 (beyond the tune) that I felt with the '12 car. If I do, it'll be something serious like a TVS. We'll see what the dragstrip tells me to do in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails If you had to start over-img_1857.jpg   If you had to start over-img_1859.jpg   If you had to start over-img_1862.jpg   If you had to start over-img_1863.jpg   If you had to start over-img_1869.jpg  

Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

So since everyone chimed in with "get a 5.0!" Or "get FI!" And didn't answer your actual question, I'll give it a shot. I had a '10 GT, and what I found most useful was intake and tune, but most importantly, gears. These will be your biggest bang for your buck type mods. I went 4.10s, and it woke the car up like no other. Second to that, I would look at exhaust for the sound and suspension to use the power you have. Other mods you can do (but I found less than useful) are CMPD deletes, COPS, GT500 (or other) throttle body, and the Ford Racing intake mani.

Others might say cams, but for the money I would suggest NX instead. Hope this helps! The 4.6 can be a runner, don't let others get you down on it.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

No surprise you find "get a 5.0" in the 5.0 technical discussion forum

I'm going to tell you the honest truth of my thoughts here. I am an old time foxbody guy. Had my last one one for 13 years and raced it for ten, with every power adder under the sun. Had lots of other Mustangs, too, dating back to 1968.

I thought I'd just wait out the 4.6 because I felt it was a boat anchor from the word go, even after it was tickled a bit with a lot better heads for '05. It just sucked alot of gas and didn't have the performance level I wanted. So I continued to wait. The 2010 refresh came along and I fell in love at first sight but, I couldn't get past the taxi cab motor underhood. 16 years had not been kind to the 4.6 and it was REALLY obsolete, fragile under boost and factory gutless by then.

Then the light shone down from Dearborn and we were finally blessed with modern, efficient V8 with 100+ more ponies right out of the corral. Sign me up, I finally found something I could get behind in the Mustang world again, an engine and body package together that made me feel totally happy. Bought a '12 and loved that til I totalled it in Sept. while making 600+ on low boost and now i have a '14, that's how much I love my Coyotes.

That's the story of my addiction. I want no rehab.

Quick Reply: If you had to start over