Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Installing MGW shifter and changing trans fluid. Can I do it in my garage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Dextas' Stang

Default Installing MGW shifter and changing trans fluid. Can I do it in my garage?

Hi all,

I'm from the UK and upgraded from my 05 V6 to a 2011 5.0 manual. Just waiting for it to arrive now. It's still running the stock shifter, and I can only imagine the stock trans fluid.

I plan to buy an MGW shifter (as long as they will ship to me) and I've located some Amsoil MTF in the UK. I've decided to go with that over MTG because let's be honest, it's the UK. The weather sucks.

Now I am able to use a garage with a hydraulic lift and such and I really want to install the shifter and change the oil myself because I don't trust my local garage with a $500 shifter.

I've read a ton of threads but I just need a definitive answer. Can I install the shifter and change the oil by myself?

What else will I need? Is it just the shifter, oil, a pump and tools, or are there other components and brackets that I need to get all this done? (I heard something about a trans mount but not sure if I need it).

I plan to do this literally as soon as the Mustang gets here because I don't fancy forking out for a new trans and shipping to the UK!

Any help and advice is appreciated.

On a side note, if you know anywhere I can get an MGW shifter shipped to the UK let me know, I really want one!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

f&ck yeah. The hardest bit is getting the top, front bolt out. You have to pull the crossmember and lower the trans slightly to get at it. NBD

Fluid change is a straight drain out the bottom and fill from the side to a level just under the fill hole. A $5 pump gun will transfer the fluid in a couple minutes.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Dextas' Stang

Originally Posted by P51C
f&ck yeah. The hardest bit is getting the top, front bolt out. You have to pull the crossmember and lower the trans slightly to get at it. NBD

Fluid change is a straight drain out the bottom and fill from the side to a level just under the fill hole. A $5 pump gun will transfer the fluid in a couple minutes.
Ah right how long ago did you install yours though? Because I know that MGW have now made the shifter more compact and easier to install. If you watch the be video on their site it seems pretty easy and he does say that its smaller and easier to install now.

With the fluid change. Is there a way to check whether the fluid is at the right level? I don't want to put too little in.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Most people just add until it starts to run out the side fill hole.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:49 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dextas' Stang
Ah right how long ago did you install yours though? Because I know that MGW have now made the shifter more compact and easier to install. If you watch the be video on their site it seems pretty easy and he does say that its smaller and easier to install now.

With the fluid change. Is there a way to check whether the fluid is at the right level? I don't want to put too little in.
I did my mgw last winter in my garage. Not the new race spec version. It was relatively easy. Basic tools. About 3 hours taking my time. Fluid is a 30 minute job. Just pumped it in from under the car until it ran out the upper fill hole. Used a thumb pump that I put in the quart bottle. You can't put too little in this way.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Dextas' Stang

Thanks for the help guys.

I was just thinking. Do you need to warm the car up first before changing the fluid? And how warm does it need to be? I will have to drive to the garage about 17 miles is that enough?

Also for getting the bolts out to instal the shifter on the trans. Would you say I need an extra long reach socket to get to it? Or one of those special bendy ones?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Dextas' Stang

Also what's up with this I just got this email from Amsoil?!

Will,

Thank you for your question. AMSOIL does not recommend either of these two products to be used in your 2011 Mustang GT manual transmission. They do not meet the performance specification requirements and so we would not support their use in your transmission for this reason. For the TR6060 manual transmission you will want to consider using the recommended AMSOIL Signature Series Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) that meets the Mercon 5 spec requirement. Even though this is a manual transmission, Ford calls for this specification and so the ATF is what we recommend and support. If you have the MT82 transmission AMSOIL does not have a product for you at this time
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dextas' Stang
Thanks for the help guys.

I was just thinking. Do you need to warm the car up first before changing the fluid? And how warm does it need to be? I will have to drive to the garage about 17 miles is that enough?

Also for getting the bolts out to instal the shifter on the trans. Would you say I need an extra long reach socket to get to it? Or one of those special bendy ones?
Driving a few miles will warm it sufficiently. Makes it flow easier.

As for the shifter, my non race spec version had a video on mgw site with all the tools necessary.