Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2014 GT 6 speed MT

Old 01-21-2017, 01:19 PM
2014TrackPack

Exclamation 2014 GT 6 speed MT

MY GT is equipped with the Track Package and the 6 speed MT. I bought it 3 months ago with 9500 miles on the odometer. Shifting gears feels and sounds clunky and loose, shifting from 3rd to 4th sometimes causes a grinding sound and there have been dozens of times when it was difficult to put into 1st gear. That clunking sound at low speeds when depressing the clutch is also present and comes from the rear of the car, almost sounds like a loose U-joint or slack in the differential. Anyone else have the same issues? Normal or does it warrant a trip to the dealership? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:36 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Welcome and sorry you're having trouble with your 2014 GT!!

The "clunk" is apparently normal with a 2-piece drive shaft and the Traction Control along with ABS.....mine's better with a 1-piece driveshaft but it still clunks a little!!

The shifting......well that can be another story!! If you replace the plastic hydraulic tube to the clutch slave cylinder with a braided SS one your clutch will release/engage better and more predictably!!

The OEM shifter is very vague and it's easy to miss gears and experience poor engagement especially on hard acceleration!!

The real answer to the shifter is an MGW "Race Spec" shifter!! There are lotsa other shifter offerings that help but the MGW shifter is the REAL DEAL and worth every penny!!

Good Luck and once again Welcome aboard!!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:12 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

I never had an issue w/my shifter or clutch in my '14 GT/TP. That thing shifted like butter & I couldn't understand why anyone would go aftermarket on either shifter or clutch. Your issues do not sound normal, at least to my experiences. I'd take it to the shop.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Is there any factory warranty left on the car?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 PM
ddtmoto

Originally Posted by spectreman
I never had an issue w/my shifter or clutch in my '14 GT/TP. That thing shifted like butter & I couldn't understand why anyone would go aftermarket on either shifter or clutch. Your issues do not sound normal, at least to my experiences. I'd take it to the shop.
Not everyone has the fortune to enjoy shifts like butter with our stock chinese transmission and brazilian clutch setups. Those of us that have issues with shifting sure would like to find that magic bullet and join you in the butter shifting. Unfortunately that is not so easily obtainable without some work and, in some cases, major cash outlays. One of the big issues is with the pressure plate that ford sourced for these cars. The stock shifter, clutch line, gearbox fluid, mounting bracket can all be 'upgraded' and will have some effect but, until the major contributor is addressed, no butta...oh well
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM
crjackson2134

Originally Posted by spectreman
I've got 2x 2014 TrackPack Mustangs. They both shift like yours. I had some trouble with a really stiff clutch on one of them. It was replaced under warranty and no problems since.

We be Rock'n here.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:49 PM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

I just picked up a 14 last week. It shifts fine just cruising but under load it won't shift. In a race last night, I tried twice to go from 2nd to third and got locked out both times. Kinda wish I would've gotten an auto now.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:31 PM
crjackson2134

Originally Posted by MaxxRPM
I just picked up a 14 last week. It shifts fine just cruising but under load it won't shift. In a race last night, I tried twice to go from 2nd to third and got locked out both times. Kinda wish I would've gotten an auto now.
My guess... It needs a clutch.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
ddtmoto

Default Or shifter slop

If you are locked out on all gears at high revs, I'd say clutch. If you are hitting the gate on your 2-3 shift, then I'd go with shifter/bushing mount as suspect. The slop in the shifter when the diversion is under full torque twists the shifter assembly out of alignment and the common result is the missed 3rd gear shift. A quality shifter and or bushing helps greatly. Even as little a twenty bucks spent on the Progressive engineering suspension bushing for the stock bracket is a HUGE improvement over the OEM piece of sponge...
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM
9050scott

Originally Posted by 2014TrackPack
MY GT is equipped with the Track Package and the 6 speed MT. I bought it 3 months ago with 9500 miles on the odometer. Shifting gears feels and sounds clunky and loose, shifting from 3rd to 4th sometimes causes a grinding sound and there have been dozens of times when it was difficult to put into 1st gear. That clunking sound at low speeds when depressing the clutch is also present and comes from the rear of the car, almost sounds like a loose U-joint or slack in the differential. Anyone else have the same issues? Normal or does it warrant a trip to the dealership? Thanks!
The clunking is the UCA mount and is a common problem on these cars. The aftermarket solves this pretty cheaply.
As for the shifter, get an MGW and call it a day. It replaces the entire shift box and is the best on the market. I have the older 2014 revision and do not miss shifts.

Search this Thread