Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bracket racing a coyote... would 170* thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:23 PM
doubleoh

Default Bracket racing a coyote... would 170* thermostat

make car more consistent? Would ANY thermostat, other than the OEM 195* make the car more predictable? I have talked to a guy with a CJ coyote and he said that they keep coolant temp about 140* doing the burnout. The CJ uses a different computer than the GTs. Actually, not different, but many strategies that are factored in to the street cars are not used in the CJ. It's much less complex than the street version of a GT.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins discovered that on hole shot launches, with electric fans off, the hotter the engine temperature the better. Of course, once launched, turn your electric fan on. I would leave the OEM stant in.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

It actually won't. Running a stat that low in a road car will prevent the transfer of heat to the cooled water in the rad and likely make the engine run HOTTER. This is a common misunderstanding that dates back to the iron block and ****ty smog head days of the 1970s.

I have hot-lapped a Coyote 3.73 stick car at the track and noted not more than a 1 to 2 tenth difference, 5-6 runs in a row.