V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

94 3.8 mustang will turn over but won't fire! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 AM
xxdarkbladexx

Default 94 3.8 mustang will turn over but won't fire! Need Help

Hello,

My GF owns a 94 mustang 3.8 and the engine will turn over but won't fire. She turned the engine off and left it off for 3 hours. When she came back the engine wouldn't start. We thought the problem was a fuel pump since the pump wasn't making noise when we turned the key. We replaced the fuel pump and the new fuel pump didn't help. I assume there's no spark because the pump still isn't pumping fuel through the filter. Anybody have any idea? I haven't checked the spark plugs, but i took off the wires and there weren't any burns.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 AM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 94 3.8 mustang will turn over but won't fire! Need Help

ORIGINAL: xxdarkbladexx

Hello,

My GF owns a 94 mustang 3.8 and the engine will turn over but won't fire. She turned the engine off and left it off for 3 hours. When she came back the engine wouldn't start. We thought the problem was a fuel pump since the pump wasn't making noise when we turned the key. We replaced the fuel pump and the new fuel pump didn't help. I assume there's no spark because the pump still isn't pumping fuel through the filter. Anybody have any idea? I haven't checked the spark plugs, but i took off the wires and there weren't any burns.
Well, if you have already changed the fuel pump (I assume filter too?), there is only spark left. Usually when there is a faulty spark plug wire, it will run rough, but should still fire up. I'm thinking coil pack problem since it flat out won't fire up, but will turn over. Quick question, when you try to start it up, does turning over the motor sound strong or kind of sluggish? I hope I helped you out!! GL

Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
xxdarkbladexx

The engine turns over well and isn't sluggish.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Redneck1465
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxdarkbladexx

Hello,

We replaced the fuel pump and the new fuel pump didn't help. I assume there's no spark because the pump still isn't pumping fuel through the filter.
You said it still isnt pumping fuel. If it still isnt pumping fuel then I would look to make sure you installed the fuel pump correctly and connected all of the wires running to it correctly. If it is all installed correctly then i would check to see if the pump is delievering fuel to the fuel rail. If it is then your next option is to look and see if there is spark. Take it one step at a time and dont throw parts at it. Thats a good way to rack up alot of money on parts you dont need.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM
TurtleSLow
3rd Gear Member

well it should still make a noise when the ignition is turned on no matter what right?

is there a fuse for the fuel pump? thats all i could think of besides it not being installed correctly

check if fuel is getting to the fuel rail like the guy said above me
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 AM
xxdarkbladexx

We ran the car without the air filter and it started up. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor and it runs, but the check engine light came on. We took it to a place and it came up with the code P1406 (Delta pressure feedback sensor). But would that cause the car not to start. I think the MAF sensor has a short or is going out. Any ideas?

The car did have spark just, but we tested that plug on the fuel rail and gasoline never came out. We took the plugs off the fuel filter and it never seemed to have enough pressure when we were cranking it.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 AM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

There is a fuse under the hood for your fuel pump. Check that first. Then check to see if power is getting to the fuel pump. You should have constant fuel presure with the ignition key turned to the on position. Once you have that the next key ingredient is your air intake. Sounds like you might of figured that one out. The third thing to check is plugs and wires. While you have the plugs out it's not a bad idea to check for proper cylinder compression.
It sounds like your fuel pump isn't getting power though. You can also apply 12 volts to the fuel pump directly just to rule it out as the culprit. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
xxdarkbladexx

Hey all,

Well we drove the car to a shop and paid them to inspect the vehicle. First, supposedly the DPFE sensor was out and the fuel pump was making funny noises. I already knew there was a problem with the DPFE sensor, but they told me to replace the fuel filter. I replaced the DPFE sensor and the fuel filter and then the car won't start. The CEL went off and theres gasoline at the fuel rail. What could be the problem? The battery isn't dead and I checked the inertia switch (can't push it back in).