Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablosport 87 octane tune questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Default Diablosport 87 octane tune questions..

I bought a diablosport tunner for my 05 mustang GT. I just have a few more questions that i never really did get answers for. When i go to install the 87 octane sport tune, what exactly does the tune do? Does it make my car run lean in anyway?? Because what i am worried about is that i orderd the K&N FIPK intake, this intake dosen't require a tune, but i have read a couple guys say it can make the msutang run lean with no tune. So i was worried, if the tuner already makes my car run lean, then i add the intake on top of that, my car will REALLY be running lean, and i don't want that. The diablosport has K&N as one of the canned CAI's, so i was thinking maybe when i select that, it takes that into account?? Thanks guys, Jordan
Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Diablosport 87 octane tune questions..

anyone?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 PM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

i bought an intake off blue oval and that also does't need a tune.i did the timing and leaned out one click on the preditor.timing you can go pretty far.do a few degrees on the 2-4,4-7,and you can really stretch the global out.listen for pinging and watch your temp.guage.you can feel the torque as you advance it.i also have my tranny tightened up.keep playing with it till you feel you have it where you want it.i had a dyno done when i was running the 91 tune.the way i'm running now,it is almost the same feeling.your milage won't be that bad either.mine does about 18-20 in town when i drive normal.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

no offense but do none of the above. Yes the tune that is for the KN intake is already tuned for it, you dont need to ouch anything and it actually prevents you from leaning out.

Do yourself a favor and order a tune from Bamachips for the diablo.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 AM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

no offense but do none of the above. Yes the tune that is for the KN intake is already tuned for it, you dont need to ouch anything and it actually prevents you from leaning out.

Do yourself a favor and order a tune from Bamachips for the diablo.
I always here this place called Bamachips?? If the diablo already has a tune made for the K&N intake why would i need a custom tune from them? And what do you have to do, send them the tuner and they upload it? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the diablo tune is weak at best, Dougs tune are a lot stronger. You can call him up and he can email you a tune and you load it on the diablo
Old 05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I was in your shoes as well - bought the K & N first, was worried about leaning out (after reading a bunch of comments on MF), and went with Brenspeed. It's best to go with a reputable shop like Brenspeed, Bamachips, etc., and not the one that 'comes with the tuner.' That has been the experience of most of us here.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Wierd, i thought i was set with this tuner. I didn't think i would have to buy tunes for it now. Like i'm sure the stock diablo tunes can't be that bad, they have a good name. I was hoping to get 15 more HP with K&N CAI and 87 octane tune...without having to get a custome tune, and possibilty getting better gas milege.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Order the custom tune, the difference will be well worth the money. Are you set on the 87 tune, why not 93 or 91? These difference per fillup up is only a few bucks.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Well i live in a small town, we only have 87 and 91 octane. 91 octane is about 13 cents more per liter, so about 50 cents more a gallon. I'm not paying 5.80 a gallon for gas, 5.30 is enough already (Stupid Canada).So i'm pretty set on 87 as it would be about 7-8 bucks more each fill. So to me its not worth the extra 5HP or what i would get. I don't even think i will get a custom tune, the standard K&N diablo tune must be pretty decent already, as long asthey workgood together i think i will be happy. I'm hoping for 15HP with the CAI and 87 tune, and maybe better gas milege .

Quick Reply: Diablosport 87 octane tune questions..