General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Accidently put mixed oil/gas into tank car won't run hardly

Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Mjwarren00
1st Gear Member

Default Accidently put mixed oil/gas into tank car won't run hardly

Was at my friends didn't pay attention twice and put about 2 gallons of mixed oil/gas into gas tank. Gas was old on top of everything...tried to drive to gas station, car kept stalling no throttle response finally puttered to gas station put half a tank of 91 on top of the bad gas ran a little better made it home..this morning I couldn't get her to do anything but start then die won't drive at all no throttle response and I put some injector cleaner and filled the tank with 91 octane...still having issues. Any help?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
jrmy

damn i wish i could help.idk what that will do,im guessing clog the hell out of your fuel-injectors,and damaged some internals....sorry to hear this bro
Old 10-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Mjwarren00
1st Gear Member

everything I have read says you can just run the oil through it but it may foul a plug...so far it won't run at all hardly so don't know.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

you probably will need to drain your tank, then put fresh fuel in it, and try to run it untill the bad fuel is burned. Or maybe you can turn fuel pump on and drain the fuel from the line from the fuel filter.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
jeffro22
1st Gear Member

I think it will be OK to burn the fuel/oil mix off. Especially since it will be really diluted if you fill your tank all the way up. The fuel being old and stale might cause more problems then the oil mix.

Last edited by jeffro22; 10-05-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Mjwarren00
1st Gear Member

Ok for awhile while pointed down hill she started to run pretty good....I think that the oil settled away from the pump and she was pulling good gas. Now though on level ground she is back to stalling and dieing...so what is the best way to drain the tank? Is there a plug ? Should I unhook at pump or at filter?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 PM
bobbyhart

My suggestion would be to drain all you can and then use what is in the lines. I would want that out of the system asap. I wouldnt burn much of it, but that is just me. That old gas/oil is going to clog the injectors, foul the plugs, etc.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

I would siphon the tank as soon as possible. You can try from the cap or at the filter. It will probably be less messy at the cap, youll have more control over the flow that way. Then change the filter. If the gas is old the filter cant be far behind.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

I would remove all the gas from the tank and replace the spark plugs because they are probably shot from the oil. I would also fill her up with 93oct gas to try and raise the octane since it will still be a little diluted since the oil is heavier then the gas it will sit on the bottom of your tank after for remove all the gas. After that the car should run in theory, if so I would purchase a can of seafoam which will help clean out the gas lines and cylinders of that oil. If the car doesn't run I would look into replacing your fuel filter. I don't think you did any real damage though so don't worry.

P.S. Don't be suprised if once you do get it started if you have a ton of white smoke coming from the exhaust it's all that oil burning up.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 AM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

^^ you mean blue smoke?? White is usually condensation or coolant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accidently put mixed oil/gas into tank car won't run hardly