4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Window Repair documented 2000 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 AM
StuzGT
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb Window Repair documented 2000 GT

I really have had a lot of difficulty finding documentation for some pretty common repair issues or modifications on the 2000 GT...therefore I figured others may benefit from documentation such as this...

Im gutting the interior of my 2000 GT and thought along the way I would document for those who are interested what my process is even as I stumble through...

...This is an thread is provided as an excursive to repair a malfunctioning driver door power window:
The motor was working but the forward portion of the window had to be dragged upward to get the window up and the rearward portion of the window was no longer attached to the track that is supposed to be attached on the bottom of the glass window.

Further if while you are raising the window you hear a popping sound like a metal against metal snapping sound...
...then you probably will discover that you have or will develop a metal stress fracture on the regulator. Thus, fracture or not, you need to replace the regulator. My regulator arms were ultimately disfigured from a poorly performing regulator...

Notice here that this is an irregular sequence because I determined that it was a viable alternative to remove the window after unbolting the regulator...

Normally you should remove the window before unfastening the regulator.
Accordingly, you raise or lower the window so that you can see the rivets that secure the lower metal support bracket that is attached to the bottom of the glass (you can see the brackets on a picture below).
[there is a round hole in the forward and rearward portion of the interior door that allow you access to the rivets]
At this point you would normally be instructed to remove...that is to drill out the rivits with a 1/4 inch bit.
Note the rivet connects the bracket to the regulator structure.

I decided a more unorthodox method and disconnected everthing first...
this is shown below:

remove the 2 nuts and 2 bolts that secure the regulator and motor housing.

remove the 2 nuts that secure the regulator stabilizing cross slide bar

remove the rearward pressure L Bracket

remove the forward pressure L Bracket

remove the rearward stop L Bracket

remove the forward stop L Bracket

I then had a buddy actually lift the window out of the door enought to reveal the connecting slide that is supposed to be attached to the support brackets glued to the bottom forward and rearward portion of the glass window.
I then cut the cross member in two...allowing the removal of the window.

THEN....
...I used the same side grinder to severed the rivet down to the bracket...
...and the rivet will virtually fall out the opposite side..

Then I removed the spring in the old regulator in order to use the gear that is turned by the power motor.
A replacement spring should come with the replacement part so you may not have to use the old spring (used to counter balance window and regulator weight)
To reinstall the gear that is set in the regulator spring and motor housing
rotate the housing so that is is the farthest upward position then insert the gear at the top of the sprocket.

Finally I used silicone adhesive to repair the support bracket

The final product...
testing and adjustments

After finishing the installation I tested carefully...
Adjustments will be required...so get ready for the fix...
There are two bolts with torx bolts for the rearward verticle guide...
These 2 bolts adjust all...

...if as in my case the forward portion of the window glass seems to angle toward the inside of the door...
Therefore, my final adjustment to make certain the forward portion of the glass was at the correct angle.
Then the inner bolts need to be adjusted such that the bracket is closest to inner door frame.

Then make certain that the L brackets are adjusted to prevent the window from waggling back and forth in the door...

The last thing is to make certain that the L brackets used as a stop for the window are set to allow the window to rest in the proper position against the door weather stripping...

CAUTION...
USE gloves and when removing the spring be very cautious...
When the spring came off it slipped and smacked my finger...
...you might expect the spring to go just about any direction if it slips!

I will edit/update this thread as better and more explanation is needed:
...more pics may be added to give a better viewpoint

Stu

Last edited by StuzGT; 03-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Mikes99Mustang

Hey, i was wondering if you could help me, i replaced the window motor in my 99 mustang gt, the power window switch, and i switched all the relays clockwise so that i could see if any of the relays were bad, this still did not fix the problem. the problem im having is that if you hit the window switch, downwards it goes about a 1/4" every time you hit the switch, and does not go up at all. you can hear the relays clicking, but it doesnt do anything but have the window drop down a 1/4" each time you hit the switch, if you hook a battery charger up to the motor, it goes up and down fine (depening which way you have the polarity on the charger) i was wondering if you knew if there were any other things to check or anything,
thanks a lot!
Mike
Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Good stuff
Now a Sticky
Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 PM
StuzGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes99Mustang
Hey, i was wondering if you could help me, i replaced the window motor in my 99 mustang gt, the power window switch, and i switched all the relays clockwise so that i could see if any of the relays were bad, this still did not fix the problem. the problem im having is that if you hit the window switch, downwards it goes about a 1/4" every time you hit the switch, and does not go up at all. you can hear the relays clicking, but it doesnt do anything but have the window drop down a 1/4" each time you hit the switch, if you hook a battery charger up to the motor, it goes up and down fine (depening which way you have the polarity on the charger) i was wondering if you knew if there were any other things to check or anything,
thanks a lot!
Mike
Hey Mike....
...first of all Im not an electrical genius...and you may need one...

but considering that youve changed window regulator motor and power window switch, and checked the relays

...that only leaves the following that could be at issue...
GEM control
the circuits (check PIDs, shorts, and ohms)
and power supply to the window regulator control switch.
first thing to check is the ignition switch....

I wouldnt leave out testing the items you have already installed...

btw...do you by chance have an alarm system?
...I have seen issues with window relays being resolved by repairing the alarm system, too...

In short...
...your searching for a phantom electrical anomaly that can be tedious to find...

...I dont even have the equipment to find the culprit if it requries more than a volt meter...

peace
Stu
Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 PM
illusionownz

any other way to take the window out without cutting it like that? im trying to put my window in another door
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 AM
StuzGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by illusionownz
any other way to take the window out without cutting it like that? im trying to put my window in another door
There is a rivet in the forward brace and rearward brace that fixes the window to the window regulator.
Raise or lower the window until you can see the rivets through the holes indicated in the picture below:

drill out the 1/4" rivets to detach the window and pull it out...
..I replaced the rivets with bolts and lock nuts... no need to rivet again.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
StuzGT
1st Gear Member

Smile

...and MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
illusionownz

a little late but thanks for the reply..
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

great write up
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM
StuzGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by illusionownz
a little late but thanks for the reply..
If it helped...
...no problem!

Originally Posted by sweger
great write up
Thank you...

I think it used to be a sticky and came unstuck...
...but it is a very common problem!

Quick Reply: Window Repair documented 2000 GT