Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang convertable leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
tomo

Default Mustang convertable leaks

I have a 2001 Mustang convertible. The top leaks water into the soft well behind the seat and sometimes into the trunk. I have heard that it is a common problem with Mustang convertibles.

Has anybody else experienced the problem? Does anybody have a solution to this problem?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:55 PM
ooterman
2nd Gear Member

I have a similer problem as well, it leaks along the driver side door after a unsuccesful attempt to open my car without a key. Look into replaceing the weatherstriping around where it leaks. I plan on going junk yard shopping soon and if that dosent pan out then its off to the dealership to see what they can do.

Good luck and if you find a good place with weather stripping PM it would ya?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
hollywood549

I have a 2000 gt vert and have the same problem with water getting in the well behind the seat and some in the trunk. I havent been able to find how it gets in, I have taken a water hose and run water over the top and cant see where it gets in.Fortunately this car stays garaged most of the time.Maybe someone else will have found the cure.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Problem started years ago!!!! I can only assume Ford has perfected it with the newer cars .
Old 12-27-2008, 03:33 PM
solman
1st Gear Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by noroof66
Problem started years ago!!!! I can only assume Ford has perfected it with the newer cars .
Dont get your hopes up. My 99 convertible leaks.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Bad joke... I meant perfected the leaks.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 AM
SuPa StaLLiOn 7
2nd Gear Member

Everything that has been discussed here I have the same problems. Don't feel alone lol... When I got my new top though I bought new weatherstripping for the driver and passenger doors which stopped the leaking up front, but I still get it behind the seats in the back and in the trunk. Looks like we should be on "Unsolved Mysteries" as no one knows how to solve it =/.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Giansconvert

My 2000 convertible had the same leak, which i at first thought was the rear window seal. After having a coworker run a hose over the back with me in the back seat i found that the leak was coming from the top, underneath the window on each side. It looked like it was worn from the top going up and down so many times. Theres an automotive sealer out that dries very flexible (i think its made by goop) but i found it at a true value hardware store. I sealed the holes and have not had a leak in months. I hope this helps
Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

if you find a hole use this, it sticks like instantly and doesnt tear easily, it stretches if neded,plus its see through
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...3516557a.shtml
Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
gdoc89
1st Gear Member

Mine was doing the same thing. I just replaced the top with a new canvas one. The holes on the old top were at the bottom corners of the rear window. Looked to be from wear. The good news is that the new top doesn't leak at all. Will try to post some pics when I get some decent ones. Was a PITA job but well worth it!

Quick Reply: Mustang convertable leaks