4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

abs light is on..how to check??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

Default abs light is on..how to check??

After I had my gears put in, there has been a pulsing in the brake pedal when I slow down. It really only happens when I get in the lower speeds like 10mph and lower. Over at StangNet someone mentioned that it could be the rear rotors.

Now my abs light is on. It never came on before I had the gears put in, now it will come on every once in a while, especially when im on the highway. It came on today when I got on the highway and another time as well. And whats weird is when the light is on, my brake pedal doesn't pulse when I slow down.

How can I check the code? Im gonna try with my xcal 2 after posting this, so we'll see if it works or not.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

Xcal didn't work...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Its not a CEL its your ABS sensor, check to make sure they didnt unplug one of your ABS sensor's, or or could be loose, or it couldnt be related and your brakes need replaced.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

If it started after the gears, the installer probably damaged the sensor where it goes thru the axle housing. They get seized in there and take some manipulating to get out. Yank the rear wheels and inspect the senors for damage and make sure hey are seated all the way in
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

My ABS light came on after I got done putting my springs in on it's test drive. I put it up for the winter right after I did it and I havn't gotten time to look into what happend to make it come on because it has been too cold out. But I'm guessing I did something with one of the cables.

Lynn
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

I went to the place I took it too and told them about it. They said to drop it off sometime and they'll check it out.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

to do the gears you have to pull the axles and to push the axles in to get the c clips out you have to at least loosen the abs sensors and pull them out a little (or all the way out whatever floats your boat), they probably didn't put them all the way back in which is why your abs is activating. you could check it with a scan tool, monitor which abs sensor isn't responding.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

I'll tell them about the abs sensors. I still dont understand why the brakes pulse. They had to take the rear ones apart to do the install so maybe they did something wrong putting them back on.?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6sphere
I'll tell them about the abs sensors. I still dont understand why the brakes pulse. They had to take the rear ones apart to do the install so maybe they did something wrong putting them back on.?
where did you get them from? check to see if they are warped. we sometimes have problems at our shop with napa brand and advanced auto products but they are covered under warranty.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

when you say pulse does the pedal feel wierd or does it feel like the brakes are warped (feel a vibration in your seat).

if they messed up or didn't install a sensor all the way in, the abs module will see a differential in wheel speed which tells it a tire has lost traction and will cause an abs stop, which would also explain why your abs light is on.

Quick Reply: abs light is on..how to check??