Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Default Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?

I know there are a million threads out there for exhaust setups and I have been searching for awhile now and have listened to probably ever exhaust video on youtube but Im just looking to see what some 05+ saleen owners think. I am thinking about starting with an O/R H-pipe (pypes) with my stock magnaflows to see how that sounds. Then will go with mufflers (probably stingers) and headers after. Any opinions? X or H pipe?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Don't change the mufflers, its a waste of time and money, the ones on there are pretty cool.

Exhaust is a go big or go home situation. The stock headers flow pretty well. The best out there are probably either Kooks or American Racing Headers. I've put both on customers cars, and I had both set of kooks come back with blown cats. I preferred the quality of the cats and the fitment of the American Racing Headers, the sound was preferred by everyone at work too. I love my ARH!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Do you prefer midpipes with cats over no cats?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Yes, I prefer the high flow cats, they sound MUCH better than no cats imo. I prefer the X over the H.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
MarcZ

So am I to understand by david's post that the factory saleen mufflers are magnaflow?

I think stock sounds great, but could be a little louder at lower rpms. It also has a drone at certain rpms that rivals my Z28's (cammed, full exhaust, 3 inch catback). I agree that the ones on there are cool, but if you want a change, go for it. I'd like to hear how it sounds with an O/R pipe, or something different.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I had a kooks setup and liked it, but I only hear good things regarding the ARH. I had the cats removed and the x-pipe isn't bad, but the o/r H sounded better IMHO.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Here are some links. which sounds better? x or h. Im leaning towards h.
x--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XktX...eature=related
h--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFJrb...eature=channel
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

I just put long tube headers on my car last Saturday and with the Saleen mufflers and off road H pipe it sounds amazing. With the stock exhaust manifolds I think an h pipe sounds way better then an X. I've had both and the X pipe sounded like a mack truck jake brake.. didn't like it at all. However I have two friends that have 07 GT's, one has BBK shorty headers, o/r x, and flowmaster mufflers. The other guy has stock manifolds and the same x pipe / mufflers. The one with the headers sounds really good.. the one without sounds like a mack truck jake brake at certain rpm's.. not good.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

I have the Bassani off road x and it sounds to raspy... like he said a Jake brake....
The good thing with Bassani is that i can add the high flow cats without welding......
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScremnS281
I just put long tube headers on my car last Saturday and with the Saleen mufflers and off road H pipe it sounds amazing. With the stock exhaust manifolds I think an h pipe sounds way better then an X. I've had both and the X pipe sounded like a mack truck jake brake.. didn't like it at all. However I have two friends that have 07 GT's, one has BBK shorty headers, o/r x, and flowmaster mufflers. The other guy has stock manifolds and the same x pipe / mufflers. The one with the headers sounds really good.. the one without sounds like a mack truck jake brake at certain rpm's.. not good.
Sounds like H is the way to go. How do you like your headers and H compared to just the H? Is it better to just go all out now and get headers along with the H pipe? Do you have any videos of your new setup? I think your youtube videos are just of the H pipe and it sounds pretty good although you have cams. How did the install go on your pacesetter longtubes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?