Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

dynamat xtreme

Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Default dynamat xtreme

well the trunk rattle and road noice is getting to me more than ever...how hard is it to install dynamat in the doors and trunk?

how about the floor? (i may skip this as the trunk and door rattle is what is bugging me right now)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Time consuming not hard at all, but it will get expensvise to do all(floors,trunk,doors) with dynamat .
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

check out second skin for a better alternative. Their damplifier pro makes extreme look thin and their entry level stuff is the same for cheaper.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

i can get a pretty damn good deal on 36 square feet of dynamat xtreme...i was thinking about doing the doors myself and then taking it in to get the trunk done professionally

a guy quoted me at 65$ an hour with a trunk taking 2-3 hours ?

does that sound right? will the doors be hard to take apart?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Do it yourself, no need to pay someone to do it. A trained monkey to install sound deadening...

Dynamat xtreme should be renamed dynamat xtreme ripoff. It may work, but it is no where near worth the expense. You could buy something MUCH cheaper and see similar results. If you are worried that the cheaper brand wont stand up to "dynamats superiority", then double layer it and it will surpass Dynamat...

I put 100sqft of Fatmat in my 67 (got it supercheap), and didn't even do most of the trunk. I did the floors, wheel wells, cabin-trunk divider, a custom rear seat divider I made, the ceiling, the firewall, the "hump" above the differential, and the gastank top. Many of the places were double layerd. I figured there was no point in deadening the trunk if I could just isolate it from the cabin, the main importance. Was like 80$ shipped I believe..

Last edited by baddog671; 04-23-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
Do it yourself, no need to pay someone to do it. A trained monkey to install sound deadening...

Dynamat xtreme should be renamed dynamat xtreme ripoff. It may work, but it is no where near worth the expense. You could buy something MUCH cheaper and see similar results. If you are worried that the cheaper brand wont stand up to "dynamats superiority", then double layer it and it will surpass Dynamat...

I put 100sqft of Fatmat in my 67 (got it supercheap), and didn't even do most of the trunk. I did the floors, wheel wells, cabin-trunk divider, a custom rear seat divider I made, the ceiling, the firewall, the "hump" above the differential, and the gastank top. Many of the places were double layerd. I figured there was no point in deadening the trunk if I could just isolate it from the cabin, the main importance. Was like 80$ shipped I believe..
wow, how lond did that take you! lol

my two 12 inch kickers and the stock speakers rattle the doors and trunk like mad, so thats really all i want to fix, and at the same time kill some road noice...im not going to do the floor or the roof, to save money and time....i have never done anything like this before
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the hardest part of doing it would be taking the doors apart. Take some time to wipe the area off but other then that you just peel and stick. I normally cut it into strips 5-7" wide and then just put them end-to-end. Get a wooden roller to help roll it into the grooves and the back of it to work it into corners.

I have had my hands on almost every brand of damping material but again I will not use anything less then second skin on mine.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/produ...-Materials.php
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

The 67 took like 2 or 3 weeks, but it was off and on work. I would cut 5-6ft lengths and then peel the backing off about 3 inches. Apply that 3 inches, and then slowly peel the backing away while smoothing it against the metal at the same time. Kinda hard to explain, but it made it lay straight and smooth. Did the roof in no time flat becuase the lack of groove.

Yes, wooden roller is a must!

Your trunk should be the same as my 98's. Just pull out all the "carpet" pieces, and start sticking. The previous owner of my car took a garbage bag full of insulation and stuffed it in the wheelwells to reduce noise...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

so second skin makes damplifier? the damplifier pro is a little out of my price range, and the normal damplifier is the same price as i can get the dynamat xtreme for...

so what you are saying is that dynamat xtreme and regular damplifier are about the same in quality? damplifier is better?

I will defer to your knowlege since i really dont know much about this topic
Old 04-24-2009, 02:30 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I would go with the regular damplifier over the extreme. It is better stuff....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dynamat xtreme