4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor circuit

Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

Question P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor circuit

thats the error code i pulled from my tuner after the check engine light came on. also got P0722 which means no signal from output shaft speed sensor

first off, WTF is it? where is it? and how much is it?

I haven't been able to talk to my father yet (my mechanic), so i'm in the dark right now. I just wanted some more info as i have never heard of it before.

Also, my speedometer no longer works. and the odometer will have dashes instead of mileage, intermitingly tho

I know i know--- i'd rather ask you guys first tho

Last edited by enrobriaffej; 06-22-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:47 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

your speedometer runs off the output shaft speed sensor which is located on the tailshaft of your transmission thats why it doesn't work. sounds like you need a new one.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

any idea on the cost of it? or how easy or difficult it would be to replace myself (with my mechanic of course)?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

double post

im actually having some trouble locating that part from auto zone/o'riely too. they both told me they never heard of it and don't have anything like that in stock. plus i can't find it online anywhere (yet)
Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

most people that work at autozone (no offense to anyone, just a general statement from my experiences) and such are retarded at least around here. you'd be better off tryin the ford dealership or napa and calling it a vehicle speed sensor for the transmission.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

yea i have to now, or just wait till tomorrow and call my mustang shop.

but i just thought of something tho: i have a speed cal on my car, could that be the coulprit? b/c my cig lighter no longer works either and i know when my speed cal was installed they hooked it up to the cig lighter (red wire)...im just speculating tho.

any thoughts livefast?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

that could very well be the problem as the way i understand it the speed cal piggybacks the speed sensor to change the signal for whatever gears you have. so the pcm could be loosing the signal because of that. im sure the cig fuse is just blown.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
that could very well be the problem as the way i understand it the speed cal piggybacks the speed sensor to change the signal for whatever gears you have. so the pcm could be loosing the signal because of that. im sure the cig fuse is just blown.

well thats good news for me, cause i need to remove that speed cal anyways, as i have a tuner now. and u were right i found it on napa for about $26.00. Thanks for your help man!

1 more Q: will this be simple for me(+dad) to change ourselves? no moving the transmission or any b/s like that right?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

well it sounds like the sensors probably ok. since your removing the speed cal just rewire it the way it was before you installed the speed cal and change the parameters in the tuner. if the speedo still doesn't work then you will most likely need a speed sensor which you should be able to tackle, should just be a 10mm bolt on the tailshaft holding it in the side and unplug it pull it out throw the new one in.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

good stuff man, thanks for all of your info! i will give it a go this weekend!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor circuit