4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pilot Bearing going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Default Pilot Bearing going bad?

Ok, been doing some research but I have this loud squeeking/squeeling noise when my car is at idle, than as soon as I press in on my clutch it goes completely silent and sounds normal, but as soon as I let off starts again. It appears to be Pilot Bearing. Is it bad to drive on a bad pilot bearing? I've already been driving on it for a couple months just seams to get louder now, but I can shift and everything drives normal just really annoying. I'm just strapped for cash right now and can't afford new clutch pluss install cuz I am sure I can't change out a clutch, it is my dd. Also do new clutch's come with new t/o bearing and Pilot bearings?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

TOB (Throw Out Bearing) its quite common in the Mustang world.
There is plenty of info on the forum about the TOB.
You can just replace the TOB but if your clutch has been in your Stang for a long time it better to replace the clutch with TOB while you have it apart.

Clutch kit usaly come with the TOB, some come with pilot bearing but not to many.
For me when its that time Im going with all Ford OEM parts.

Last edited by Repzard; 08-12-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I believe you have the pilot bearing and throw out bearing mixed up. The pilot bearing is pressed into the crankshaft, and the throw out bearing slides on the input shaft of the trans, and that is what your noise is most likely coming from. It goes away when you apply tension on the clutch cable, which in turn puts pressure on the shift fork and then the t/o bearing. You can replace just the throw out bearing, but the trans has to come off the motor. Make sure you buy a Ford t/o bearing, and not aftermarket
Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Ok ya I think I do have it mixed up, because initially I thought it was TOB but I some other people listen to it in person and some thought that TOB would be noisy when my clutch is engaged, but the noise goes silence when I push on or engage the clutch?? Well if if it's a bad T/O bearing is it ok to drive on it for a while as well, either way looks like I'm probably going to need to be buying a new clutch...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Yea I've seen people drive on noisey TOBs for ever... Hell I've done it for a few months. My buddy is doin it right now. Whenever he idles it sounds like birds chirping
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Ya thats exactly what mine sounds like real chirping like noise seams like its just got progressively louder its so annoying, I don't even have to barely touch the clutch and it will go silent. Like sometimes when I'm at a drive thru or something I'm embarrassed by it and touch the clutch a lil to silence the damned thing!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sounds like bearings inside the trans and not the TO bearing.

My old T-3650 had the same noise issues and this was the cause. Pressing the clutch to the floor should increase the noise, not reduce it. Afterall, the bearing should not be spinning at all when the clutch is out and cable is adjusted properly.

The TOB in the Mustang was designed to be continually rotating, so it may be spinning even if the clutch is out.

Jazzer

EDIT: You guys type too fast, now I am not sure

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 08-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Sounds like bearings inside the trans and not the TO bearing.

My old T-3650 had the same noise issues and this was the cause. Pressing the clutch to the floor should increase the noise, not reduce it. Afterall, the bearing should not be spinning at all when the clutch is out and cable is adjusted properly.

The TOB in the Mustang was designed to be continually rotating, so it may be spinning even if the clutch is out.

Jazzer

EDIT: You guys type too fast, now I am not sure
Ok now I'm afraid...cuz this is what the guys that were listening were saying as a possibility rather than a T/O bearing. :S
Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Its the TOB...

Jazzer, if it were bearings in the trans, why would they be noisey at idle, when the car is stationary? The trans only spins when the tires are spinning
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Ok well thanks so much for the insight, anyone know what the cost averages on a clutch replacement at most shops. Prob quite a bit is what I'm thinking and not looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing going bad?