Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

holley 4452-1 on 289?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
mattmoya

Default holley 4452-1 on 289?

Hey everybody, just bought myself a 1966 Mustang coupe, w/ rebuilt 289 and c4 tranny. it has the factory 2bbl carb on her so i bought a holley 4452-1 4bbl carb, the guy told me it came off of a 64 1/2 mustang so it should hook up correctly once i put the new intake manifold on correct?

is the 4452 a good carb or should i go with something else?

also i noticed while playing around with it that the second set of butterfly vavles dont open when i push on the throttle, are they vacuum controlled or am i missing something?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

That's a 600cfm carb with vacuum secondaries. It should be just fine on your motor. I'd rebuild the carb first to be sure it works properly before installing.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
mattmoya

ok is there a way to change the secondaries do be controlled by the throttle linkage?

if not where does the vacuum line come from i just looked at my engine i dont see one.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

You don't need mechanical secondaries, unless you're going to be racing.

As for the vacuume line...here's a pic of the carb I'm using before the rebuild.

It should be similar to what you have.

Last edited by uibalnme; 08-17-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
mattmoya

yeah but im trying to get some more low end power (take off) without doing any major work to it.

ok i see, but where would that line go??
i looked everywhere i dont see anything that it could hook up to except for maybe a solenoid on the drivers side fender wall.

also whats a good book available for rebuild/tune up of this carb?

Last edited by mattmoya; 08-17-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 AM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

1) the carb doesn't play that big of a role in low end grunt. Especially on a stock 289. you'll need to get into kinds of intakes, cams, differential gear ratios, and a bunch of other things for the bottom end punch.

2) what line are you talking about? the vacuume actuator line? That connects right to the carb. I don't remember there being any solenoid on the driver's side fender wall.

3) go to a local auto parts store, and look through the repair manuals, or http://holley.com/. some Mustang parts retailers also have books on carb rebuilds.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 AM
mattmoya

Originally Posted by uibalnme
1) the carb doesn't play that big of a role in low end grunt. Especially on a stock 289. you'll need to get into kinds of intakes, cams, differential gear ratios, and a bunch of other things for the bottom end punch.
thats what i figured, my problem is the c4, if i change my backend to have more pickup then ill lose top speed.

2) what line are you talking about? the vacuume actuator line? That connects right to the carb. I don't remember there being any solenoid on the driver's side fender wall.
well doesnt the carb itself create the vaccum?
yeah on mine theres a disconnected solenoid, ill take a picture tomorrow..

3) go to a local auto parts store, and look through the repair manuals, or http://holley.com/. some Mustang parts retailers also have books on carb rebuilds.
found one, it seems the 4452 is comparable to the 4160, so i bought that book
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattmoya
well doesnt the carb itself create the vaccum?
yeah on mine theres a disconnected solenoid, ill take a picture tomorrow..
No, the carb does not create a vacuum. It's the pistons moving down in the cylinders during the intake stroke that creates the vacuum. The carb only controls the fuel and air that enters the engine.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 PM
mattmoya

hmm, weird, i read somewhere that the carb also creates vacuum.

ok so i have the hose connected to the secondary valve, from there where would that connect to on the engine?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Quick Reply: holley 4452-1 on 289?