Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

OIL COMING OUT FROM THE SEAM BETWEEN THE CYLINDER HEAD AND BLOCK?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 PM
TNTS70STANG
1st Gear Member

Default OIL COMING OUT FROM THE SEAM BETWEEN THE CYLINDER HEAD AND BLOCK?

Hey guys,

Here's another one for you. Let me know if you can come up with the punch line to this interesting one:

What does it mean when there's oil GUSHING from the seam between the cylinder head and the engine block? On top of this, the motor over heats, the engine runs like it's only running on 6 or 7 cylinders.

If somebody could tell me what would cause this or what might be wrong...me love you long time!

-TNT
Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Pull your plugs and I bet you find coolant....you need a head gasket.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I second that. You have a blown head gasket. i dont think you need to pull the plug tho. it is a slam dunk!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:30 PM
TNTS70STANG
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks guys...but you'll love this...

Thanks guys,

Here's the kicker:

Brand new gaskets all through the motor. The heads were milled, magnafluxed, new valve seals were installed and valves were cleaned up and grinded down as needed. I checked the motor for warping and it was fine. A very well known machine shop did the work on the heads, I installed them with new head gaskets, to proper torque and sequence.

Could it be that I cracked the head?

Also, there's no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
SKAR

Just because the gaskets are new doesnt mean it couldnt of been pushed out as easy as an old gasket.....
Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Check the intake manifold. If it was put on wrong, you could get leaks from the front and run along the head to block seal and look like a HG. It could also be the reason for the mis firing if it didn't seal right and has a vacuum leak. I've never seen a blown HG leak oil externally. The oil that goes through the head gasket isn't under pressure, and would be extremely hard for it to actually leak externally. Not saying it's impossible, but figure out exactly where it's coming from before throwing money at it. Could be a valve cover leak
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM
TNTS70STANG
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks for the help.

Thanks cprstreetmachines.

Well, to tell you the truth, this severe oil leak caused a fire the other night. This was how I figured out that I had an oil leak. Right after I noticed the fire, the motor started running funny and it then overheated very quickly. The next morning, I took a look at my char-broiled motor and engine compartment and I fired the motor up to see where it was leaking oil from. At that point, it appeared that the driver side valve cover was leaking onto the headers. As a result of the fire, it burnt 3 of the spark plug wires to a crisp. I then figured that this was more than likely the reason for the motor running funny. I then did all of the spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor and then I replaced both of the valve cover gaskets. THe leak is still severe. I didn't see any oil leaking from the intake.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

CRP...you never sen oil come from a head gasket? That's hard to believe. On another note...the oil coming from the valve covers and intakes isn't under any pressure either.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Check the intake manifold. If it was put on wrong, you could get leaks from the front and run along the head to block seal and look like a HG. It could also be the reason for the mis firing if it didn't seal right and has a vacuum leak. I've never seen a blown HG leak oil externally. The oil that goes through the head gasket isn't under pressure, and would be extremely hard for it to actually leak externally. Not saying it's impossible, but figure out exactly where it's coming from before throwing money at it. Could be a valve cover leak
I was going to say that......
Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stepman
CRP...you never sen oil come from a head gasket? That's hard to believe. On another note...the oil coming from the valve covers and intakes isn't under any pressure either.

The oil from the v/cs is leaking because the oil pools at the lower edge of the cover, not so with a head.

The pressure oil to the top of the head travels through the pushrods, not through a drilled passage like on my Lincoln Y block, which incidentally would still rarely or ever "gush" oil due to a blown head gasket.

This WILL NOT happen on a 289/302/351 (or an FE either) on one in a million engines...

The oil is too far removed from the exposed edges of the head gasket... if it were leaking here the OP would have read more like "there is a giant crack in my engine"...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OIL COMING OUT FROM THE SEAM BETWEEN THE CYLINDER HEAD AND BLOCK?