Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shocks - KYB Gas-A-Just vs. GR2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Shocks - KYB Gas-A-Just vs. GR2

The last thing I need to complete my parts list for my suspension is new shocks. All these parts are REALLY adding up so I'm looking for some good bang for the buck shocks which brings me to KYB.

Mustangs Unlimited has both the Gas-A-Just's and the GR2's, what are all your reviews? I've heard the Gas-A-Justs are good, but might be too stiff for 620# front springs and 4 1/2 leaf rears. I want the car to be stiffer, but I don't want to be bouncing all over the road either.

Based on the descriptions it seems the GR2's are not as stiff, but are they too close to stock? Anybody know? One thing I really like about them is they are even cheaper than the gas-a-justs, about $60 cheaper.

Here's the links.

Gas-a-just's
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p?T1=SHOCK2+01

GR2's
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p?T1=343146+01
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p?T1=343219+01

and am I going to need the shock bushings/insulators? it just keeps adding up...

They also have a kit with the 4 shocks and front and rear sway bars w/ poly bushing for 320. Seems like a good deal, even though I wasn't planning on getting a rear sway bar.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:38 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have the gas adjusts with 600 rate front springs and GT rear springs. Its a tad stiff sometimes but overall, I like it. I don't know if that helps or not.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I have the Kayaba Gas-A-Just on my car, which has been upgraded to 66 Shelby specs. An excellent performance item for the crappy roads around here. IO used to have Koni's, when I lived down south, but too harsh for around here. The Kayaba GR-2 is a nice OE style heavy-duty shock if you want original ride quality.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Ok thats what I was wondering. Based on the descriptions I have found the GR-2's were a little stiffer thank OEM but it never said by how much. I just don't want to have too soft of a shock and then be bouncing and floating all over the road when I hit a bump. But I don't want one too stiff either because it is my "daily driver", and I don't want passengers to hate the ride of my car haha
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

With those springs I would definitely go with the GR2's.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
JamesW

Last night I drove a 68 with stock leafs, 620 fronts, and Gas-a-justs.... this morning I drove my 65 with stock leafs, 620 fronts, and GR2s. In my opinion from this comparison, there was no discernable diffence in ride quality or handling.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I've got 550 1" drop springs and 4 1/2 mideye leafs with GR2's all around and the ride is fine, not jarring, not soft, no complaints when my daughter rode in the rear, wife up front. It's a sporty enough ride for now until I can afford or need Koni/Bilsteins.

Try to stick to your budget, the shocks will be $100, if you want a 1" etc. front bar = $100 still less than $320 at once and I don't think you'll need a rear bar for a street car and they can actually induce snap oversteer from posts I've read, most only use them on track only cars where they can dial them in and run at 9/10's.
Jon
Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ive got the gas a just's all around and like them. but my front is still stock springs. i think with the new springs it would be ok.. im going to probably get a lower spring rate though. depending on how your adventure goes.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You might consider running Gas-A-Justs up front and GR-2's in the back, like Jon. Most of the ride comfort issues I had were gone when I replaced my rear shocks. The fronts run smoother with the Edelbrocks for sure, but I didn't have as much problem with the front skipping around as the back.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:36 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I am running 620's in front and 4.5 leafs in the rear. i have the GR2s and think its fine. i mean it is a daily driver for me so i wanted a sporty handler but a smooth ride and i think i hit it just right.

Quick Reply: Shocks - KYB Gas-A-Just vs. GR2