Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Mustang AM/FM Radio Info

Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
laxexquis

Default 1968 Mustang AM/FM Radio Info

Hello,

As some of you may know from my other post (https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-needed-2.html), I am restoring my 68 289 Convertible.

Though I talked about this in my other tread I posted above, right now I am really focusing on the AM/FM radio issue hence I want to make a thread dedicated to the issue.

As some of you may already know, I am up-sessed with keeping everything original. The problem I have been having with the radio is I really want FM as I use it to transmit my iPod and just to listen to it, but the original radio is just AM.

I found that a Philco AM/FM was optional, which is a perfect solution. I then found one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...#ht_500wt_1182

I noticed these radios are very rare to find in Stangs, as at $180, they were the second most expensive option being more then the GT pack.

The only issue I have ran into is putting it into my stang. Right now my car only has one speaker, the one in the dashboard above the radio. I read that the AM/FM radio includes more speakers.

So, I ask, where do I have to add these speakers?

please note I am asking where I add the original speakers only, no aftermarket.

and

Is it possible to put this radio in easily?

If anyone could find a picture with the orig AM/FM radio installed that would be great because I could find how and where the speakers go.

Thanks again,
John

Last edited by laxexquis; 11-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Don't confuse AM/FM with AM/FM Stereo. The AM/FM mono radio used the same dash speaker as the plain AM. The AM/FM Stereo had a pair of speakers in the doors, in special full-length grilles.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Don't confuse AM/FM with AM/FM Stereo. The AM/FM mono radio used the same dash speaker as the plain AM. The AM/FM Stereo had a pair of speakers in the doors, in special full-length grilles.

Excuse me, you are correct, AM/FM Stereo.

Once again you come through!!

Thank you.

Would you know if these two speakers were in addition to the one on the dash, or did they replace the dash?

What do I have to do to install these grills? Do I have to cut out the metal below the door panel, is that how they did it in 68?

Thanks
John

Here is a good picture I found, it has the non-deluxe door panels, but the grilles, and if you look close enough you can see the stereo radio-(next post)

Last edited by laxexquis; 11-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
laxexquis

Last edited by laxexquis; 11-06-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis
Would you know if these two speakers were in addition to the one on the dash, or did they replace the dash?

What do I have to do to install these grills? Do I have to cut out the metal below the door panel, is that how they did it in 68?
There is a large, cloth-covered hole in the forward part of the grille for the speaker. There should be a corresponding cut in the door behind it. There is a series of square screw holes in the door for the top and bottom edge of the grille. On factory installations, these holes are square for nylon insert nuts, which are tall to prevent crushing the aluminum grille when tightening the screws- I recommend the extra effort these require.

On deluxe interior cars, there is a light in the middle, but these were not installed on stereo-equipped standard interior cars. To prevent the door from being visible through the light hole, Ford put a piece of black fabric "friction tape" on the door. I'm not kidding.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I have a deluxe interior '67 with the speaker grilles and light. I can remove the grille and take some pics if you like. You have to cut a hole in the door for the speakers only (I put 4"X6", largest that would fit and I think is what the stock ones were, round would have been easier to install I think). As mentioned above the grille mounts flush to the door, only cutting would be for the square nylon inserts. They make a repop of the grilles but I can't attest to the quality as mine are original.

Be forewarned, this is the one part of my Mustang that has made me bleed and loose layers of skin the most often and I have taken the entire drivetrain (engine/trans/rearend, brakes,etc.) out and in. These grilles are like 3ft. long razor blades. I always forget when I have to get under the dash and wear shorts = slice off the kneecap...The are not dangerous in normal use of the car however, unless you slip getting out and slam the door on your head (don't laugh I know someone who did this in a '70, talk about cauliflower ear!).

One other caveat, you have to make sure no one just releases the seatbuckle and lets it quickly retract towards the door, mine are all dented/scratched from the belt clip hitting them at retraction speed from PO's.

Just let me know what angles you need.
Jon
Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonk67
One other caveat, you have to make sure no one just releases the seatbuckle and lets it quickly retract towards the door, mine are all dented/scratched from the belt clip hitting them at retraction speed from PO's.
This is probably why these were reproduced in the first place. It's hard to find used ones, especially lefts, that don't have the snot beat out of them.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
There is a large, cloth-covered hole in the forward part of the grille for the speaker. There should be a corresponding cut in the door behind it. There is a series of square screw holes in the door for the top and bottom edge of the grille. On factory installations, these holes are square for nylon insert nuts, which are tall to prevent crushing the aluminum grille when tightening the screws- I recommend the extra effort these require.

On deluxe interior cars, there is a light in the middle, but these were not installed on stereo-equipped standard interior cars. To prevent the door from being visible through the light hole, Ford put a piece of black fabric "friction tape" on the door. I'm not kidding.
Thanks again, just what I needed to know.

Would you know if I have to replace the dashboard with a non perforated speaker area as that speaker would be replaced?

John
Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by Jonk67
I have a deluxe interior '67 with the speaker grilles and light. I can remove the grille and take some pics if you like. You have to cut a hole in the door for the speakers only (I put 4"X6", largest that would fit and I think is what the stock ones were, round would have been easier to install I think). As mentioned above the grille mounts flush to the door, only cutting would be for the square nylon inserts. They make a repop of the grilles but I can't attest to the quality as mine are original.

Be forewarned, this is the one part of my Mustang that has made me bleed and loose layers of skin the most often and I have taken the entire drivetrain (engine/trans/rearend, brakes,etc.) out and in. These grilles are like 3ft. long razor blades. I always forget when I have to get under the dash and wear shorts = slice off the kneecap...The are not dangerous in normal use of the car however, unless you slip getting out and slam the door on your head (don't laugh I know someone who did this in a '70, talk about cauliflower ear!).

Just let me know what angles you need.
Jon

Thanks for all the info!

Just what I was looking for.

That be great if you could take a picture of the door panel without the grill!

Just one straight on shot including the whole under part of the door so I can get an idea of where the screw holes have to be along with the speaker whole.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Hi, sorry this is so late, lost my digital camera, just found it a week later, folded up in a chair in the trunk....

Here's some pics of the door grill on/off, mounts, grill backing. Please excuse the rough speaker openings, I cut them with a dremel, hard to control, I have to smooth them with a file/stone bit. There are 6 mounting holes, if you get the grills it'd be easy to hold it up to the door and mark where the holes go with a thin pencil then drill. I appears the nylon nuts are square mount so I guess you'd file the holes square to pop them in. 6 mounting holes total, black beveled flathead machine screws with phillips heads.

Jon

Last edited by Jonk67; 11-15-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 Mustang AM/FM Radio Info