4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock fuel injectors? 2002 GT, which ones?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

Default Stock fuel injectors? 2002 GT, which ones?

OK, Im sure its been asked before, but iv serched and cant find anything, even on google, which is usually money. Anyway, I have a 2002 GT and need to replace the fuel injectors(it jerks and lundges pretty bad). I already changed the coil packs and it made a huge difference, but now I need injectors. I have longtube headers, x-pipe and mufflers also a BBK CAI. Which injectors should I go with?

Are the Venom ones from American muscle any good, or does anyone have a link to some stock ones?

Thanks....

BTW- I dont plan to upgrade performance anymore, besides maybe a tuner....
Old 11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How many miles on it? What other mods?

Unless you have 150k+ miles, or it's been run on donkey **** for it's whole life, I doubt very much you need injectors...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 AM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
How many miles on it? What other mods?

Unless you have 150k+ miles, or it's been run on donkey **** for it's whole life, I doubt very much you need injectors...
Thats exactly what I said, I just bought this car about a month ago with only 90k miles on it. It felt like it loss all its power one day so I took it in and the mechanic told me that it was probably my coils and or injectors.

I didn't want to spend a grip of money, so he tried out some other coils and sure enough it was almost back to par, but it still has a subtle "jab" or jerk" motion through some gears. He said it was most likley the injectors now....

I know I can do that job myself , so I just need to get some stock 19lb injectors.

- It doesnt have any other mods....
Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

try testing the fuel filter.. take it off anf blow through one end. If you cant blow through easily.. replace it.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

its the pink injectors i think
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Instead of spending 200+ dollars on injectors why not check the fuel filter as posted above and/or go get a second or 3rd opinion? It could be numerous things beside the injectors. And to be honest i highly doubt it is the injectors...
Trust me i worked as a mechanic in a marina and im not saying this is what your mechanic is doing but just watch out for it. My old boss used to just order what he thought it was and just kept replacing parts and than it would turn out to be something small like the timing was off and now thousands of dollars later it couldve just been fixed by turning the distributer? I would be pissed if that was me. Just about a week ago i think it was i went to get a new key and remote made and programed at the ford dealer. When i came back to pick my car up the lady told me and my dad the mechanic put an estimate in there for a new clutch cause it grabs high. My dads like thanks but we just put a brand new one in. It grabs high because thats how its adjusted with the firewall adjuster. Like imagine if it was someone who didnt know there stuff. They'd be into a $400+ clutch job for no reason?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The other thing I would do is run some Techron through there for 2 or 3 tankfuls--I am generally not a believer in magic elixirs, containing little mechanics that come out at night, and rebuild your engine--however Techron is one I do use a couple times a year...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:15 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

Good info guys,Yeah thats probably what ill do. The mechanic said to run some redline fuel injector cleaner to see if it helps it, if so its probably my injectors. I think the guy who owned it before me drove it like ****, so I think it could be the injectors, PLUS the coils were bad and those shouldnt go bad for at least 150k miles also....
Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Bullitt2theHead
1st Gear Member

A word on coils-PLENTY of ford coils go out even before the vehicle is out of warranty. There is no magic milage number on coils-replace them when they go bad.

The only reason I would replace injectors is if they are hanging (open or shut). Pulling your plugs would tell you whatsup.

There are a few "snake oil" treatments that actually work. I have seen BG 44k actually clean up plugs in 10k miles.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

i have never been one to trust snake oils. they seem to mask the problem and not fix it, but a common misconception with people is: "if the sound goes away then it must be fixed!" NO! lol. but i have used "marvel mystery oil" my grandpa has been using it since the 1950's or so. my old @$$ jeep cherokee was was shaking at idle and running like crap and i put some of that in the crank and fuel tank. suprisingly it smoothed it out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock fuel injectors? 2002 GT, which ones?