5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tube Chassis "How-To's" ???

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default Tube Chassis "How-To's" ???

I am in a build-off against my best friend, and my car is a pig, and his car weighs all of 2500 pounds from the factory, before he strips it out and whatnot. I am interested in building a serious performance car out of my 89', and was wondering about making it into a tube chassis car. I have seen tube chassis car's before, but i am clueless as to how they are make, cost, drawbacks, advantages, etc. so if anyone can fill me in, that would be lovely. Thanks for your input in advance.

-Logan
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

uh, ken herring from pass time and pinks could probably help you out =D ..Im pretty sure he runs a business dealing with tube chassis in texas
Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

a PROPER tube chassis will run you 40 grand
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

why not just make more power?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

what kind of car do they have that weighs 2500lbs
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

im with adder and prime, you are going about this all wrong
Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The items in Lucky's sig pic will run you less than a tube chassis. Yes weight is an issue but it is cheaper to build the power to push the weight than it is to strip it down after the interior is gone (generally speaking).

What are you running against and his plans?
What is your budget?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black89LX
uh, ken herring from pass time and pinks could probably help you out =D ..Im pretty sure he runs a business dealing with tube chassis in texas
Oh yeah i'll give him a call he's on my speed dial =p haha

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
a PROPER tube chassis will run you 40 grand
ouch O_o that's nuts

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
why not just make more power?
Because its not a drag race, and weight counts when your turning, same reason i'm not bolting up a 408w or a 440 lol

Originally Posted by fs308
what kind of car do they have that weighs 2500lbs
okay sorry, i was mistaken, it doesn't weigh 2500 factory, it weighs 2330. Mk2 wolfburg Jetta

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
im with adder and prime, you are going about this all wrong
Oh don't worry, i'm planning on slappin in some twins or just one big turbo. Its gonna make some power, but its not all about speed i want the car to be balanced and turn correctly. Mustangs have a notorious tendency to understeer into a turn and be unpredictable at the limit.

Originally Posted by projectresto83
The items in Lucky's sig pic will run you less than a tube chassis. Yes weight is an issue but it is cheaper to build the power to push the weight than it is to strip it down after the interior is gone (generally speaking).

What are you running against and his plans?
What is your budget?
Well i know that its cheaper to build it than cut the weight, but again, its not just about the power to weight gains, its more about the car being lighter so it handles better.

Well, i'm going to anwer both of your questions at once- We both have the same plan, and same budget. We are building the cars how we want them to be, and buying the parts that we want to put on the car... and the budget is however much those parts cost when we get there. Just takes time.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

So its just a long drawn out thing. Then you can still outrun him on a track easily. Look into maximum motorsports. Probably the best road race company for a fox body.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LesteR723
Oh yeah i'll give him a call he's on my speed dial =p haha

ouch O_o that's nuts

Because its not a drag race, and weight counts when your turning, same reason i'm not bolting up a 408w or a 440 lol

okay sorry, i was mistaken, it doesn't weigh 2500 factory, it weighs 2330. Mk2 wolfburg Jetta

Oh don't worry, i'm planning on slappin in some twins or just one big turbo. Its gonna make some power, but its not all about speed i want the car to be balanced and turn correctly. Mustangs have a notorious tendency to understeer into a turn and be unpredictable at the limit.

Well i know that its cheaper to build it than cut the weight, but again, its not just about the power to weight gains, its more about the car being lighter so it handles better.

Well, i'm going to anwer both of your questions at once- We both have the same plan, and same budget. We are building the cars how we want them to be, and buying the parts that we want to put on the car... and the budget is however much those parts cost when we get there. Just takes time.

You're so wrong about mustangs not being able to handle turns its not even funny..... This may be true for a STOCK mustang. but look into maximum motorsports. They make kits to make a fox body outhandle some pretty high-dollar cars, and this was tested in the slalom. You can find the article around if you google it, im just too lazy to right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tube Chassis "How-To's" ???