Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dirty little secret in the Mustang world..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default The dirty little secret in the Mustang world..

Friend of mine runs a Mustang shop, very well known, you've seen him on tv and in all the mags, he laughs at his customers, why may you ask? There are still so many knuckleheads who buy a Stang and plow 10-15-20k into. He's like no matter how much money they put into it, it still won't be better than a gt500..

I tend to agree, if you do the math, there are a lot of people on here who plowed serious money into base GT''s and now that our cars will be out gunned next year they will take a bath on their car.

Even the Roush and Saleen cars still can't beat a stock vette, yet they are similar price. This is why Saleen and Roush are done, they no longer fill that gap between base GT and the Vette like the old days. My neighbor has a Saleen, he doesn't want to hear that a stock C5 z06 bought off ebay for 25k will hammer him 8 days a week. Could have bought 2 of them for the price of one of his.

I learned all of this back with my 5.0, so I'm wondering who regrets plowing all this money into these cars? Don't you wish you just bought the dam GT500? I bought mine this time just to enjoy, no mods, not worth it, I learned my lesson.

I"m not talking spending a few bucks on looks, wheels, a tune and such, I'm talking those who have bought a 33k car and plowed 10k into. At 43k, you could have stepped up to the GT500, have a full warranty, better resale and OEM engineering, not Cleatus down at your local shop slapping parts on hoping it works.

imho of course..
Old 01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So we're comparing a stock Z06 used against a new saleen? So we can play that game then. OK.

I'm sure for 25K you could buy something else that would beat the stock Z06. If anything a 500whp whippl'd terminator with just as low miles. Used of course, just like the Z.

FWIW - I agree that dumping money into an s197, especially new, is not a very cost effective way to go fast.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

Personally I never understood dumping that kind of money into a car. I dumped a couple of bucks into mine just to customize it a little bit - wheels, suspension and some light mods but beyond that is a bit much for me. The way I see it, there will always be someone out there with more money and a faster car. It's nearly impossible to beat everyone.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Maybe it's not about beating everyone else? It's about having THIS car go faster because it's fun? And that's it?

There are cheaper ways to go faster but some people like the styling of these cars and the interiors. If this is the one they like the best then why shouldn't they?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i do think 10 is fine.....beyond that, it might
get questionable.

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
There are still so many knuckleheads who buy a Stang and plow 10-15-20k into.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

A built engine and a blower to go with is over 10.

We have a few "questionable" types around here apparently.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

When your talking new and used you have a point a new z06 is 80ishthat a long way from a 28ish new gt mustang and after a z06 has been beat on for 6 year the up keep will cost you more than the mods on a new gt . Most guy can work on a Mustang the Vette maybe but less likely and me I prefer a Mustang or Shelby. IMO We won't get into what those vette guys spend on their cars and the difference in cost?????

Last edited by JOHNNY; 01-04-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

You buy a mustang for your own reasons.

I had no expectation of moding my car when I bought it. But after a 2-3 years when the question came, do I want a new car and a loan or mod mine the answer was easy.

Not all decisions in life are logical. Otherwise we never marry.... etc. etc.

If we are talking Brand new Gt and throw 20k on it then we are in agreement.

Actually there is no logic buying an '10 gt right now when you have an '11 5.0 coming up...

But bottom line is who cares really.... Whatever floats your boat. If it makes you happy & you do not financially strain to do it then go ahead...

Last edited by vasman; 01-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Maybe it's not about beating everyone else? It's about having THIS car go faster because it's fun? And that's it?

There are cheaper ways to go faster but some people like the styling of these cars and the interiors. If this is the one they like the best then why shouldn't they?
I'd have to agree. Sure there are people that are serious racers, then you have people that want to go fast and customize it their own tee. I'd love to have a GT500 any day of the week but I have my GT for personal enjoyment. It suited my needs better. Whether it be taking it to the race track for some friendly fun or going for an afternoon cruise down the country road. I'm putting in some mods here and there to make it my own.

Some people can't afford to buy a GT500 off the bat and slowly put in their mods. Then you have people that get bit by the mod bug and then start sinking money into it.

People buy MUSTANG because they love the MUSTANG. It's an iconic part of American history. If they wanted to go buy a Vette or BMW, they wouldn't be here. Not trashing on the Vette or BMW, but people have reasons for what they do, unless you're a little unhinged like me
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

apparently so! lol

Originally Posted by Riptide

We have a few "questionable" types around here apparently.

Quick Reply: The dirty little secret in the Mustang world..