Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mini-starter wiring recommendations

Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 AM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

Default Mini-starter wiring recommendations

So I just purchased a Powermaster hi torque mini-starter as the final push to completely replace my ignition and charging system with high quality aftermarket parts. I'm trying to install the new starter and realize that I now have 2 starter solenoids to deal with, since the new starter has its own solenoid attached where the stock replacement did not. In my research I've come across several different possibilities for how to wire it up, and would like to get some opinions from those who've been here. What have you done?

The first is attaching the switch wire to the S terminal on the fender solenoid, this way uses both solenoids. All else remains the same.

The second is moving the main starter wire to the battery side of the fender solenoid and hooking the switch wire to the right side. Before and after:

The third is installing a Bosch type relay in this circuit:

Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

I did the second move. Moved my big thick starter cable to the positive side battery on solenoid and then moved the tiny one they supply to the starter side of solenoid.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 AM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

NBA is correct, I did it that way as they show you. I had problems with mine tho... I'm on my third one, first one kept spinning on my flywheel, second had a short snout and didn't reach the flywheel and the third is sitting on the passenger floor. Good luck
Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Remember that the large wire leading from the battery to the starter is meant to carry several hundred amps. If you use a post on the old solenoid as a 'distribution point', you are introducing a lot of resistance into that circuit. This will reduce the amount of amps you can send to the starter and heat up that wire considerably.

Your best bet (and cleanest) is to do away with the stock solenoid as far as the starting circuit is concerned. Using the stock solenoid as a 'take off' point for the rest of the car is not big deal. Run a new wire from the battery to the new solenoid. Take a look at your engine block to frame ground. Ground your battery to the engine mount bolt. These simple steps will ensure you have a good stout circuit path for all those amps the starter requires.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I run the second way. It's worked fine for 5 years or so.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

After re-reading the instructions I noticed a couple things. Under common questions it states:

"Can I use a remote solenoid? Yes. Connect the battery cable from the remote solenoid to the starter in the normal way. connect the starter's solenoid switch terminal to the remote solenoid's switch terminal."

This would seem to be an endorsement for the first option.

Also, wouldn't the second option as Starfury does be the same as leaving the battery wire AND putting the switch wire on the right side of the fender solenoid? Essentially the first option, but placing the switch wire on the ride side as well instead of the S terminal. That way both the switch and battery terminals would be activated with the ignition in the start position, but no other time. The benefit being the battery cable isn't hot all the time, although would that send too much juice through the switch wire?

And the instructions talk about "the ground cable to the frame should be the same size as the starter cable." They're not referring to the ground strap from frame to motor. What ground cable are they talking about? Should I have a large negative cable from starter to frame? If so, where?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

I think your kind of looking into this too much..... The starter requires significantly less cranking amps and should fire up your car much faster. What's wrong with wiring it the way you know it works?

Unless of course your battery is in the trunk that might be a different story
Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

I appreciate your concern, but I prefer to be as thorough as possible. I'm not just trying to figure out the easiest method and be done with it, I'm trying to learn as much as possible not just for this installation but for future projects and just knowledge in general. Electrical is my worst subject, as it is for many. I'm interested in learning rules of thumb, best practices, preferences of those more experienced in this area, and basically learning anything I don't already know.

I've already decided what configuration I'm going to try first, but I'm interested in any ideas or thoughts that haven't already been stated.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I ran it like option 1 and just put a jumper wire from the large wire on the starter to the terminal on the starter solenoid. It's a 95 factory high torque mini starter. Been on there for years with 0 issue.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
I ran it like option 1 and just put a jumper wire from the large wire on the starter to the terminal on the starter solenoid. It's a 95 factory high torque mini starter. Been on there for years with 0 issue.
Does your start hang at all ? I've seen them done like that a few times and I can always tell what it is without looking under the hood. Just sounds like the guy is on the key too long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mini-starter wiring recommendations