Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cream Hardener same for Rage/bondo/Evercoat?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Default Cream Hardener same for Rage/bondo/Evercoat?

The tubes look the same, just a safety warning printed in multiple languages. Are the Cream Hardeners the same for Evercoat Rage, Bondo? Even though one is red and one is blue?
The reason I ask, I am using Rage to do a skim coat ( Might switch to Evercoat Euro-Soft if I can get it locally). But am almost out of the hardener that came with it. I probably went a little heavy with it since this is the first time using it and I was worried about not using enough while estimating the correct mix. I have a tube of Bondo hardener and would hope I don't have to "mail order" another tube of it and wait a week or more for delivery.
They look like they are the same packaging, but neither identify what they are (chemicals or brands), just a generic warning label. One is red and one is blue. Same thing or different because of the color?
Thanks all.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

The Rage filler is a different material than Bondo.

It "might" work but I would buy another tube of hardener. It is not good to mix different products.

Bottom line is, why risk a $7000 dollar paint job and LOTS of work for a 15 dollar tube of hardener?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Mike Tucker

It is all the same,just different colors.I have found that the yellow hardener will sometimes bleed through the primer,but I don't know if you can even buy it anymore.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Hardener is hardener, it will work fine, color (or brand) does not matter, but I have heard it said that the red can bleed back into the finish. This is enough of a threat to me that I stick with the blue.

White hardener will work also, but it is hard to see the mix....

Careful with the mix ratio, if you get way too much hardener in the mix the filler will get brittle and the excess hardener can bleed back to the top.

As long as you didn't use more than a tube in a half gallon of filler you will be ok, but still try to get the mix right.

About 1" of hardener (or a TOUCH more) to every golf ball size of filler works for me.

Last edited by JMD; 03-21-2010 at 09:13 PM.