4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dropping the gas tank... help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Dropping the gas tank... help

I will most likely be dropping my tank this week. MY filler neck/gas tank rubber grommet is spitting out fuel at will. I can literally watch my gas guage go from full to empty in just 100 miles.. I am getting like 8mpg...

Everytime i start up the car and drive it, i smell gas... So i searched around and noticed that the leak is coming from that gasket.. I put my hand on the gasket and my hand came back drenched in gasoline.. (i also saw some gas dripping from that gasket as well)

The gasket is part # 2R3Z 9072 - AA

Anyway, i heard that this is a pretty easy install, but you must drop the tank. What is required to drop the tank? Find the 2 bolts holding the 2 straps that support our tank and than dropping the tank? How much can i drop it before i will snap a fuel line? How much do i need to drop the tank in order to yank out the filler neck so that i can replace the rubber grommet.

Can anybody give me some insight on this please?

I am going to try to tackle this job myself, maybe grab a buddy to help with the tank...

Also, i have a little bit over half a tank of gas. Should i keep driving it til it goes lower or can i successfully drop the tank without having a massacre?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have dropped my tank and is a bit of an adventure for sure.

First, make sure the tank is EMPTY of gas, as this makes it much lighter. The neck has a screw into the side of fender next to gas cap, so pull it out. The neck goes well into the tank by about 6"~8", as I recall, so the tank needs to drop and go toward the drivers side simultaneously. There are some air vent hoses and fuel hose with straps, so best to have a second person there to free up stuff and unhook things. This will keep you from trying to hold the tank with one hand and do the courtesy reach-around with the other

The necks is pretty tight around this collar and there is a plastic end that may want ot pop off in the tank, so may need to retrieve it. I highly recommend you put a fuel pump in there while it is out. You need to pull the tank at around 70K miles anyway, so so it NOW! I swapped mine out at about 55K to be more than safe, as breakdowns SUCK!

Jazzer
Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's the fuel tank R&R from the '03 shop manual...
Old 03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

Cliffy, thanks for that detailed diagram...

Question for you guys though. When looking at that diagram, it says that i must disconnect the filler pipe grommet prior to removing the fuel tank from the filler pipe or damage to the fill tube check valve will occur.

First off, what is the fill tube check valve and where is that located?

Secondly, how can i remove the grommet if it is between the tank and the filler tube.

I was kinda just thinking that i do all the unbolting of these harnesses and straps and then drop the tank while moving it toward the drivers side and than just yanking on the filler pipe so that it comes out from the tank... Bad idea?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Thanks for the quick replies!

Cliffy, thanks for that detailed diagram...

Question for you guys though. When looking at that diagram, it says that i must disconnect the filler pipe grommet prior to removing the fuel tank from the filler pipe or damage to the fill tube check valve will occur.

First off, what is the fill tube check valve and where is that located?
The check valve is part of the fill tube, inside the end that goes in the tank--you can see it at the tank end of the filler tube in the first and last illustrations.

Secondly, how can i remove the grommet if it is between the tank and the filler tube.
You need to cut the grommet with a utility knife as shown by the radial lines in the illustration shown in step 13. The grommet hardens up and takes a "set" over time, if you don't cut it as shown pulling out the fill tube can yank the check valve apart.

I was kinda just thinking that i do all the unbolting of these harnesses and straps and then drop the tank while moving it toward the drivers side and than just yanking on the filler pipe so that it comes out from the tank... Bad idea?
I don't think the tank will drop out with the filler tube attached, it might?

In any event you need to cut the grommet before pulling out the filler tube--the check valve is an integral part of the filler tube. I have no idea what a new filler tube would cost, but it's probably only available through a Ford dealer so you should plan on bringing a full wallet if you need one...
Old 03-28-2010, 01:46 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The check valve is part of the fill tube, inside the end that goes in the tank--you can see it at the tank end of the filler tube in the first and last illustrations.

You need to cut the grommet with a utility knife as shown by the radial lines in the illustration shown in step 13. The grommet hardens up and takes a "set" over time, if you don't cut it as shown pulling out the fill tube can yank the check valve apart.

I don't think the tank will drop out with the filler tube attached, it might?

In any event you need to cut the grommet before pulling out the filler tube--the check valve is an integral part of the filler tube. I have no idea what a new filler tube would cost, but it's probably only available through a Ford dealer so you should plan on bringing a full wallet if you need one...
Alright Cliff. That does make sense. But one more question if i may: When i cut around the whole grommet, so i have to worry about half of it falling in the tank? And how would i even know if something falls in the tank?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Alright Cliff. That does make sense. But one more question if i may: When i cut around the whole grommet, so i have to worry about half of it falling in the tank?
You're not actually cutting off pieces, just "weakening" it so that the tube can be pulled out without damaging the check valve.

And how would i even know if something falls in the tank?
Because the pieces you do have do not add up to a whole grommet--any tiny bits won't matter they'll never get through the pickup screen.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:01 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

When I dropped the tanked I pulled the tube out of the tank let me say it was a TIGHT Fit. A lot of effort from me and my friend to get that SOB out of there without cutting the gromet
Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Alright guys thanks. Ill check back in with how it goes when i do it...
Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Alright guys thanks. Ill check back in with how it goes when i do it...
Hmmmmm, been a while since a follow up. I'm assuming you died in a fiery blaze while working on your gas tank. RIP hpwrestler...

Quick Reply: Dropping the gas tank... help