Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How to fix clear coat peeling/faiding on bumpers and restore paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

Default How to fix clear coat peeling/faiding on bumpers and restore paint ?

I have a black SN95. The paint its self is in relativly good condition (some scratches here and there but over all pretty good), but the front & rear bumpers have clear coat faiding/peeling. Anyone have any ideas on fixing clear coat issues on oem plastic bumpers? Also any of you guys restore your paint real nice on your own? I don't want to take it to a shop or pay someone to do it I don't have the money. I already did the Clay bar, and I got a bottle of NUFINISH wax Im getting ready to put on for the summer. But I'd like to find out a way to bring paint back real nice & fix clear coat issues. Any thoughts???
Old 04-24-2010, 12:45 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

If the clear coat has faded/oxidized or is peeling off anywhere only proper way to fix it is too take off the bumpers and fix them. wax, polish, clay bar isnt for peeling clear coat will not fix your issue...

Bumpers can be fixed pretty easy, you can actually scuff out and sand the entire cover, sand out the peeling clear coat with a DA or by hand with 220 or 320, take an air hose to the bumper and blow off the remaining clear coat thats peeling/lifting. Scuff up the remainder of the covers with grey scotch bright pads.. the sanded areas may need new base coat applied so primer the sanded areas, water sand your primer with 400...

Its always better to have a shop do them if you can find one to give ya a good deal.. "at home" fixes w/ out proper tools, paint supplies and spray guns never a good idea if you want a nice job. Some advise (Ive been working in BS's since I was a kid) Take your covers off the car if you can they have rivets used on S95's just drill out the center of the rivet find you a good shop and make a deal.. Independent smaller shops can sometimes give better deals.