4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

ABS Light / Traction Control Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default ABS Light / Traction Control Off

Today is the third or fourth time that the ABS light has come on for a short period and then turned off after a short time.

However, today is the first time I noticed that the TC would not turn back on when the ABS light was on *I almost always drive with it off, so I never noticed*

I did a search and saw something about the ABS Speed Sensors?

Does each wheel have one? That would make the most sense, as if a wheel locked up the ABS would have to know which one was not spinning at the same speed *or however the system identifies issues with braking*

Has anyone here replaced one, or had a similar issue that solved the light issue? Also, if I were to get into Auto Zone or somewhere while the ABS light was on, could they read that just like they do an SES light?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:48 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

This is from the '00 Shop Manual:

ABS/Traction Control Principles of Operation

The anti-lock-brake control module receives wheel speed readings from each anti-lock brake sensor and processes this information to determine if an ABS event is necessary. The anti-lock brake sensor electrically senses each tooth of the anti-lock brake sensor indicators as it passes through the anti-lock brake sensor's magnetic field.

The anti-lock brake control module continuously monitors and compares the rotational speed of each wheel and, when it detects an impending wheel lock, modulates brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper. This is accomplished by triggering the hydraulic control unit (HCU) to open and close the appropriate solenoid valves. Once the affected wheel returns to normal speed, the anti-lock brake control module returns the solenoid valves to their normal position, and normal (base) braking resumes.

The anti-lock brake control module is self-monitoring. When the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position, the anti-lock brake control module will do a preliminary electrical check, and at approximately 12 km/h (8 mph) the pump motor is turned on for approximately one half-second. Also during all phases of operation the anti-lock brake control module (after the vehicle is in motion) checks for correct operation of the anti-lock brake sensors. Any malfunction of the ABS will cause the ABS to shut off and ABS warning indicator to illuminate; normal power assisted braking, however, remains.[emphasis added]

The ABS control module has the ability to store multiple DTCs in memory.

The traction control system controls wheelspin by modulating the engine torque by communicating to the powertrain control module (PCM) and by applying, then releasing, the appropriate brake to restore traction when one or both drive wheels lose traction and begin to spin during acceleration.

The traction control system can be disabled by depressing the traction control switch. The traction control system will reset and return to normal traction assist when the ignition switch is cycled or when the traction control switch is depressed again.
The problem could be one or more sensors, the ABS pump, or the ABS module itself--I would lean toward the sensors due to the intermittent nature of the problem.

Here's a link to the complete ABS/TC description and diagnostics.

Were the rear-end gears installed recently? I ask because if the rear ABS sensors are not removed, or loosened and pushed back 1/2" or so, it is quite possible to damage them while removing the axles' U-clips.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM
72MachOne99GT

Hey look, cliffyk came up with a real answer for the first time in a few years of me being on this site .....

I figured that was how the system worked, by monitoring all the wheels simultaneously and then reading the speeds..

The gears have been in the car since '05,,,that'd have to be a hell of a delay *another :-) is required*

Cliff, as I asked earlier, if I could get the car diagnostic scan while the light was on, would the help me isolate the issue or not?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

"The ABS control module has the ability to store multiple DTCs in memory. "

So, yes--however they will be body (Bnnnn) and/or chassis (Cnnnn) codes so the scanner will have to be able to read those (many can, some can't), I have an Actron CP9175 that can==most newer units can.

Make sure to scan for pending codes as well...
Old 07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
72MachOne99GT

Okay, so here's another question that I have no clue about.

Body codes, vs chassis codes....

mmmm...I thirst for knowledge from your tree....
Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Most of us are familiar with the Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), that all begin with a P and indicate problems with the engine and transmission, and possibly the rear end too if it had sensors tied to the PCM.

Body DTCs, prefixed with a B as in B1318, relate to problems in the "coachwork". Battery problems, bad switches (brake, clutch postion, etc), and the PCM itself.

Chassis DTCs (like C1095) indicate problems in the running gear, braking system problems, ABS, and stuff like that.

There are also U, Undefined DTCs. Many manufacturers, including Ford, use these to indicate "Network" problems, especially on the the newer CAN (Controller Area Network) bus systems
Old 07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
72MachOne99GT

Sweet....

so it's a basic classification system....

which, as before, makes sense....

Hopefully someone can identify which wheel sensor it is because a lovely member that I know from here said he can hook me up with a replacement sensor.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 AM
bigjohnstud4200

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Most of us are familiar with the Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), that all begin with a P and indicate problems with the engine and transmission, and possibly the rear end too if it had sensors tied to the PCM.

Body DTCs, prefixed with a B as in B1318, relate to problems in the "coachwork". Battery problems, bad switches (brake, clutch postion, etc), and the PCM itself.

Chassis DTCs (like C1095) indicate problems in the running gear, braking system problems, ABS, and stuff like that.

There are also U, Undefined DTCs. Many manufacturers, including Ford, use these to indicate "Network" problems, especially on the the newer CAN (Controller Area Network) bus systems
Should the Diablo Predator diagnosis system be able to catch both types of codes? My ABS light intermittently does the same thing and I've run live diagnosis and found nothing. I also have a cheapy OBD-ii reader, NOTHING. I know for a fact which wheel it's coming from since I have a bad hub in the front left. The lights didn't start doing that until after I disconnected the ABS, found my problem, then reinstalled everything. I need a new hub and probably need to either reposition, clean or replace the sensor. I'll try the cleaning first since it's a lot cheaper than the $65 replacement.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigjohnstud4200
Should the Diablo Predator diagnosis system be able to catch both types of codes? My ABS light intermittently does the same thing and I've run live diagnosis and found nothing. I also have a cheapy OBD-ii reader, NOTHING. I know for a fact which wheel it's coming from since I have a bad hub in the front left. The lights didn't start doing that until after I disconnected the ABS, found my problem, then reinstalled everything. I need a new hub and probably need to either reposition, clean or replace the sensor. I'll try the cleaning first since it's a lot cheaper than the $65 replacement.
Not likely. I bought a wonderful unit for about 150$ online that reads damn near every type of code possible, Im going to go search my email for the receipt and see what kind it was. It's saved me so much money it's beyond paid for itself.

EDIT:

I bought a CP9449 by actron, and promptly returned it because they did not offer support for vehicles past 2005....this was last year when the 2010 vehicles were out already...I wasn't impressed.

The unit I have now and love is THIS one. It is 200$ now.

I can view live data with it while driving the vehicle, it has data logging capabilities, its just plain great I have nothing bad to say about it. est 200$ I've ever spent...

Last edited by devongarver; 07-29-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 AM
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member

I recently installed taller tires 27.7" from a 26" tire and my abs light comes on after 5-10 minutes of driving? Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: ABS Light / Traction Control Off