4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need help with p1000 code.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Default need help with p1000 code.

Hey guys well i need to get inspected so i swapped in my midpipe but my o2 sensors and egr were shut off on my dyno tune becuase my egr is deleted and i run an o/r h pipe so i called them up and they said to run it on a different tune i have on my tuner so the sensors are on so they can run it and read the sensors and pass me for inspection. Im going to a private shop btw. So i loaded the other tune and have no other codes besides the p1000 code. AS soon as i get rid of this code he said hell pass me. I read up on some of the stuff with it but could someone help me with some more detail? My egr is deleted. but i have cats. ITs not throwing any other codes like i said. I read that this code has to be "driven off" is this correct?
Thanks guys.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

this code is actually normal my friend. he should pass you with this code on. basically p1000 is a code that comes up to tell you everythings working on the car. i've checked codes in i don't even know how many fords and they all have this code.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

isnt the p1000 code the "system check no complete" code, it should go away after a few cycles.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

okay well hes being a pain in the a$$. hahaha. He doesnt wanna pass me with any codes cause he jsut got in big trouble for illegally passing people. So i guess ill just drive around all day today and see if it goes away. Thanks guys.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Since I did my motor swap my CEL has been on permanetly reading a fuel pump relay code, it won't clear or anything. My soloution was pull out the bulb for the check engine light, that will work for the PITA garage.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

hit up a lick n stick shop
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

the check engine light isnt on cause it just a system code not a MIL. BUt its still in the system i think im just gonna go back and see if itll work. My dad said to just not say anything and to just see if hell pass it or say the code wont let him. If not he said to just go to anothher shop and not say anything just ask them to inpect it.
And the place is actually a lick and stick shop hahaha. He just recently got in trouble though. He used to pass anything. Of course when i need to pass its a problem though thats just my luck.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

p1000 code means that the pcm hasnt ran all of the emissions monitors. this code generally means a no pass. once the pcm runs all the tests and they pass the code goes away. in order to get the pcm to run all the tests you must perform an odb drive cycle. this is very time consuming. otherwise just drive and wait and in a few days the pcm should run them all with normal driving.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

okay well i drove it and now i got a p0420 and 0430 for the cats. I have high flow cats. It took a while to show up though. SO could i just clear the dtcs when i get there and than hope it hlds off til the test is over or no?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Clearing those DTCs will reset the emissions monitoring and the P1000 code will likely return.

There's really no such thing as "high-flow" cats, just cats that are smaller than what would normally be installed on engine in question (smaller = less core material = less restriction).

The problem is that they may be too small (actually of too low capacity) to retain sufficient oxygen to make the catalyst monitoring system happy.

If there is no visual inspection, or if you have the skill to make the wiring look OEM (small, clean soldered connections, wrapped neatly with electrical tape) then make and install a set of DIY MIL Eliminators.

Since you do have cats you may have to change the resistor value to 470kΩ to make the effect of the MIL Eliminators a bit less aggressive.

Quick Reply: need help with p1000 code.