Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-15-2015, 07:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

100,000 mile maintenance questions

Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

Default 100,000 mile maintenance questions

OK, so I'm just about to hit the 100,000 mark on my 2005 GT. I'll probably be driving this car for another 5 years and another 100,000 miles, so I want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to keep it in top shape. With that said, here is a list of things I'm planning on doing at the 100K mark:

Engine coolant - drain and replace
Fuel filter - replace
Engine oil/filter - drain and replace
Serpentine belt - replace
Cabin air filter - replace
Lube joints
Clean Air filter
Rotate Tires
Replace spark plugs (yeah, I know)
Brake pads/rotors (yeah, 100K on the stock pads!)
Manual trans fluid - drain and replace
Differential fluid - drain and replace

So my questions are:
1) Do I need to drain and replace brake fluid or P/S fluid?
2) Any suspension parts that wear particularly fast that I should look at? (it still feels like it rides fine)
3) I know the problems with the original spark plugs, so will it help me to run some fuel system cleaner in a couple of tanks before I attempt it? (you know, the stuff that claims to reduce carbon build-up)
4) Any other thoughts or suggestions on things to do?

Thanks
Rick
Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Did you remember to add a super charger?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RetiredGeneral
OK, so I'm just about to hit the 100,000 mark on my 2005 GT. I'll probably be driving this car for another 5 years and another 100,000 miles, so I want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to keep it in top shape. With that said, here is a list of things I'm planning on doing at the 100K mark:

Engine coolant - drain and replace -yes but do it yourself
Fuel filter - replace - yes but do it yourself. $5-8 item
Engine oil/filter - drain and replace - yes but if you're not doing it yourself, turn in your man-card
Serpentine belt - replace - yes
Cabin air filter - replace - not necessary but again, do it yourself. this is a $5 item
Lube joints - on my older cars, I'd say yes. on the S197, don't know
Clean Air filter - if you pay to have this done, I'll personally castrate you
Rotate Tires - if it's been over 10,000 miles yes if you're that **** or if you're wearing unevenly front to rear (tire rotation is a crock. it's a case-by-case issue)
Replace spark plugs (yeah, I know) - depends; how many miles on them?
Brake pads/rotors (yeah, 100K on the stock pads!) - again, do they need replacing? I get 120k-150k+ on my Toyota pads
Manual trans fluid - drain and replace - last change? if not, yes but be careful; a power flush can cause more harm in rare instances
Differential fluid - drain and replace - when was the last?

So my questions are:
1) Do I need to drain and replace brake fluid or P/S fluid? - not a bad idea
2) Any suspension parts that wear particularly fast that I should look at? (it still feels like it rides fine) - only if you're having issues (tire cupping, poor ride)
3) I know the problems with the original spark plugs, so will it help me to run some fuel system cleaner in a couple of tanks before I attempt it? (you know, the stuff that claims to reduce carbon build-up) - I run Techron at every oil change or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. SeaFoam is excellent, too. Good Preventive Maintenance.
4) Any other thoughts or suggestions on things to do? - Good coat of wax for the winter? I think you covered it short of an overhaul.

Thanks
Rick
See red above,
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

Johnny: I don't like throwing "fun" money away on a car that is still depreciating. If I'm going to blow $5000+ its going to be on a classic. A tune and some Flowmasters are about all (and those were Christmas gifts from the wife).

Nuke: Thanks for the response. The plugs, trans fluid, and diff fluid are all original with 100K on them, so I plan to do them. The brakes were getting close last time I checked, but I won't do them until they need to be done. I rotate my tires at every other oil change. And finally, yes, I will do this all myself. I don't trust other people to work on my cars, so I do (almost) everything myself. I guess you could say I got skills, or is that too 1990's?
Here's latest project - a 1963 Lincoln Continental convertible:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321549

Rick
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Brake system should be flushed every 25-30K miles, Power steering every 40K. What about shocks and struts? If they're original now would be a good time to replace those too.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

I'm not planning to replace shocks or struts because they don't appear to need it yet. No apparent leaks or damage to them, and using the tried and true method of pushing on each corner, there is no excessive bounce. Most of the miles are on smooth highway, so that helps contribute to their longevity.