Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Coolant leak.... Head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Bobarian91

Question Coolant leak.... Head gasket?

OK, so my check engine light came on about a month ago and I didn't really think twice about it because I didn't have the money to get it fixed. BUT, now I noticed when I park it, it's leaking something... well, turns out its coolant. I can't really tell if it's water pump, intake, or head gasket cuz there's too much crap in the way... it has coolant on TOP of the motor as well, and it's been leaking down the passenger side and spraying everywhere. It hasn't been overheating, but it had lost enough coolant to worry about, but thats been over the course of a month... How likely is it that the head gasket is cracked? I don't run it very hard except for rarely and it hasn't overheated... But I know the head gaskets aren't the strongest things either... Help?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

I'd check the rad hoses as well. Do it with the engine running. See if you see where it's coming from.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Bobarian91

I checked with the enigne running and nothing from the hoses. It was leaking out somewhere below the head gasket but it was too awkward to see if it could have been the water pump gasket or not. At least it LOOKED like it was below the head gasket. I didn't see anything noticeable above it aside from on tope of the motor... would a water pump gasket or hoses trip the check engine light?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Bobarian91

and while we are talking about it, I've replaced head gaskets on an OLD school motor before... but how complicated does it get with these things? Could I buy the parts and do it myself?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Bobarian91

ok so I went out and checked it EVERYWHERE. looks likes it a combo... the thermo housing is leaking onto the top of the motor, the head gasket is leaking out to the side, and somewhere on the front of the motor is leaking as well.... either way i think the head gasket is screwed... so how hard is it to replace them?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Thermostat housing cracked. VERY common problem. Replace it first. The coolant will find its way down and around other places, so you probably don't have a head gasket leaking, unless you have water in the engine oil.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Bobarian91

you were right, it was thermo housing. unfortunately I found this out after being stranded. I think the thermo was bad cuz it built up enough pressure to blow the housing off after destroying the gasket... I'm having trouble finding the parts for it tho. It doesnt seem to be too complicated so I think I'll try to do it myself if i can get the parts
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Considering that you identified this problem over 1 month ago, I'm surprised it hasn't stranded you sooner. Regardless, for not taking it seriously at the onset you probably deserve being stranded but that's just my 2 cents, probably because my ex would wait to tell me something was wrong after she saw or heard something weeks earlier when it was a minor problem and not a major repair.

As far as the CEL, I don't believe coolant issues would throw a CEL. Absolutely have the code pulled at Autozone or similar joint if you don't have a tuner.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Check with some of the people who have V6 parts for sale. You can pick one up for a decent price. Also, new from a discount online supplier is a good option. If you need one locally, you'll pay for it at the dealership.

Just make sure you get the piece(s) you need, top, bottom, or both. Get the O-ring for the t-stat, and make sure you put the t-stat back in properly! It's easier to get to if you remove the throttle body.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Bobarian91

I didn't know autozone would pull a code, I never really go to autozone but that's worth it to do I suppose. You're probably right, I probably did deserve it haha but remember I'm a redneck. I'm used to super old school cars that you don't have to worry about so i was kinda treatin it like that.
zstang... yeah I notcied the TB kinda gets in the way... I have the parts ordered so they'll be here soon enough I suppose. I have ppl who will drive me around til I get the stang back on the road so I think it'll work out.... and once i do get it on the road again I'll have someone pull that code and check it.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak.... Head gasket?