Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

TCI IFS, 65 Coupe

Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 PM
femurphy77

Default TCI IFS, 65 Coupe

This probably should go in the racing section but since there is so little action going on in the non-drag racing section I thought I'd start here. I'm building a 65 Coupe for SCCA Autocross in their C prepared class. I've been considering various options for a front suspension set up and am currently hashing over the virtues/drawbacks of the TCI IFS system.

I like knowing that it is a total package that has been engineered to work together, it inherently lowers the front end of the car, it is available with HUGE front brakes, compact, fairly easy install etc., etc.

Many of the reviews I've read on it say that it isn nothing more than a glorified Mustang II design which according to their ads, it isn't. I'm formulating a list of questions for them so I haven't spoken directly to them yet but plan to.

Anybody here have any experience with their stuff? How do you like it? What would you change about it?

I'm not interested in any of the kits that converts the stock front end to coilovers as part of my build includes removing the inner fenders.

Something that is also getting consideration is C4 or C5 'vette front suspension similar to what another forum member is using although I would fab mounting points for the suspension components rather than adapting the entire front crossmember due to weight considerations.

I'm currently in the research stage and haven't commited anything more than time to this project so lets hear what you have to say.

p.s. Why is there a Z28 icon in the smilies menu?

Last edited by femurphy77; 11-14-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by femurphy77
This probably should go in the racing section but since there is so little action going on in the non-drag racing section I thought I'd start here. I'm building a 65 Coupe for SCCA Autocross in their C prepared class. I've been considering various options for a front suspension set up and am currently hashing over the virtues/drawbacks of the TCI IFS system.

I like knowing that it is a total package that has been engineered to work together, it inherently lowers the front end of the car, it is available with HUGE front brakes, compact, fairly easy install etc., etc.

Many of the reviews I've read on it say that it isn nothing more than a glorified Mustang II design which according to their ads, it isn't. I formulating a list of questions for them so I haven't spoken directly to them yet but plan to.

Anybody here have any experience with their stuff? How do you like it? What would you change about it?

I'm not interested in any of the kits that converts the stock front end to coilovers as part of my build includes removing the inner fenders.

Something that is also getting consideration is C4 or C5 'vette front suspension similar to what another forum member is using although I would fab mounting points for the suspension components rather than adapting the entire front crossmember due to weight considerations.

I'm currently in the research stage and haven't commited anything more than time to this project so lets hear what you have to say.

p.s. Why is ther a Z28 icon in the smilies menu?
I have a TCI frame in my avitar, my guess is that their suspension has roots in the old Mustang II stuff, but it is so far removed as to bear little resemblance to anything M-2.

I looked at the TCI website, and from what I can see the suspension you are looking at is very similar to what they used on my frame.

I have not had the pleasure of getting up to speed in my car yet, but from tooling around the lot I am impressed.

As far as the quality of parts and workmanship I have to give a big thumbs up to TCI for delivering an excellent product with not a single "issue" of any kind.

That is all I have....

We need NORM PETERSON for some better answers concerning the SCCA racing....

The Z-28 is a patriotic thing, kind of a tribute to Government Motors....

Last edited by JMD; 11-14-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Before you start going into radical front end mods, I'd suggest looking at Street or Track Racing's tubular front end setup. Very nice system.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Before you start modding stuff, get the rule book for the class you're planning on racing in to make sure of allowed modifications. Otherwise you'll waste a ton of money.

Cheapest route is boxed stock front components with proper race springs/shocks. A properly balanced and set up stock type front end, will outhandle a high dollar aftermarket setup that's thrown in and only sorted to a mediocre level.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The spindles are mustang 2 the upper a arms are gm design like the camaro and novas used but smaller.You need to look up there rules on that class changing the front suspension might move you in to a class you won't like will be harder to win at.To me i wouldn't use there kit just because it does the same thing the mustang 2 kits do.If money is no problem you can have a full frame http://www.gmachinechassis.com/ or http://www.griggsracing.com/ both are pricey tho.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 AM
femurphy77

The griggs stuff is definitely sweet but not $10k worth for my project. I looked at the gmachine stuff some time back but will have to give another look to jog the memory. As for the rules, I am familiar with them and everything I want to do is legal for my class. I used to race SCCA Cp Solo II some time back but started this project, life got in the way, project back-burnered and now it's time to get it back on course.

Until I see TCIs numbers as far as camber curves, bumpsteer,ackerman, roll center, etc. I am not set on them, just giving them consideration.

I hadn't heard of Street or Track Racing yet but will check them out today.

I'm not looking for the "coolest" looking setup, I'm looking for bang for the buck and am giving engineered systems precedent over throwing parts from different manufacturers together and hoping that it'll turn.

Just checked out Gmachines, very cool but illegal for my class.

Last edited by femurphy77; 11-15-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Pass. Did a MII front end for a 52 Chevy with one of their kits because it came highly recommended. Arms were welded too hot and undercut at the welds. The cross member was made wrong and when I told them and showed them pictures they didn't want to hear it. The arms were pushed too far forward and nothing but a coil over with a hiem would have fit. Which we had. Their recommendation was to just install it and let the hiem take up the angle. The shock was leaning back because the arm was about 1-1.5 inches too far forward iirc. It took 3 companies (Mine, the guy I bought it from, and the one that told me I should buy it) 3 weeks to finally get it done right. Complete waste of time and money. Never again.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Well street or track kit is a bolt on kit http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-...-pr-24491.html unless your going to run a big block or a mod motor there is no need to cut out the shock towers.I have drove a couple early mustangs with a mustang 2 kit and to me it handled worse then the wore out stock parts the cars had before.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

MII front ends were designed for mass production, not performance. You can prefab the whole assembly then slap it up under the car. MUCH cheaper to assemble than factory suspension in terms of labor. That's why cars converted to MII suspension handle worse.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:59 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Its a upgrade for a older car with a straight axle but something already ifs its a down grade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TCI IFS, 65 Coupe