General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Help diagnose my problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Default Help diagnose my problem

Probably gonna have to have a shop look at it but I figured you guys might know.

This past weekend a few of my friends and I started to install my 8.8 rear but didn't get far due to time and daylight constraints. Had to put the brakes, speed sensor, swaybar back on and rebolt up the shocks.

A few hours later, I was driving and heard something sound like it was grinding. I at first thought the swaybar got loose and was dragging but that wasn't the case. Looked over everything we took off and couldn't find anything.

Now the OD light is flashing, shifts are rough and first grinds. We didn't touch the trans, so it would be one hell of a coincidence for the trans to go right after. The car is driveable but doesn't sound good

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
gconnsr
2nd Gear Member

No telling Alec, but is it possible the rear brakes are dragging? P.S. Nice job on the body mods bro.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gconnsr
No telling Alec, but is it possible the rear brakes are dragging? P.S. Nice job on the body mods bro.
Yeah wasn't sure if there was any telling signs. That's one of the first things I checked, took off the calipers and rotors and found nothing odd. I'm taking the car to have it looked at Friday and am hoping for the best

Thanks! It's come a loong way from the base 4.0 look
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
gconnsr
2nd Gear Member

Good luck to you man, hope it's something simple. Wouldn't mind hearing a sound clip of that six with duals.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

so you did or did not do the 8.8 swap? I'm thinking something is misaligned on the output shaft to differential (drive shaft) and its putting a strain on the gears (grinding) that misalignment is also now putting a strain on the tranny (output shaft) and why the it doesn't want to shift right.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Good luck to you man, hope it's something simple. Wouldn't mind hearing a sound clip of that six with duals.
Thanks I really appreciate it. It's gonna be something simple, like a speed sensor, or a trans problem which will ruin my day

I'll take one when I have the time and camera and post it. I think it sounds pretty good for a 6, but is no V8 even though a few people ask if it is.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
gconnsr
2nd Gear Member

Cool. My son did a Flowmaster 40 on his single exhaust 4.0 and I didn't like it. I'm thinking your dual setup would sound much better.

Last edited by gconnsr; 11-17-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

jack the back end up, put it in neutral, and spin the rear. Listen for anything that could drag, and pay attention to the diff itself. Did you pop the cover on the 8.8 and check the gears before installing??? Also do some measurements between the axles, the 8.8 may have a longer snout. Thats just some immediate thoughts for now.

I would put it down to a length difference, damaged gear, ABS sensor/wheel damaged, or possible pinion angle.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
so you did or did not do the 8.8 swap? I'm thinking something is misaligned on the output shaft to differential (drive shaft) and its putting a strain on the gears (grinding) that misalignment is also now putting a strain on the tranny (output shaft) and why the it doesn't want to shift right.
No, that's the thing I don't understand, we didn't even really get to tear into anything really besides the brakes and some suspension so I don't know how I'm having such an issue. Of course it could be a major coincidence ...

Cool. My son did a Flowmaster 40 on his single exhaust 4.0 and I didn't like it. I'm thinking your dual setup would sound much better.
Flowmaster 40s sound awesome on the 3.8 New Edge 6's (heard em in person), but apparently are horrible on the 4.0s. Seems like it's a tough engine to get the right sounding exhaust note out of.

Originally Posted by a_penquin
jack the back end up, put it in neutral, and spin the rear. Listen for anything that could drag, and pay attention to the diff itself. Did you pop the cover on the 8.8 and check the gears before installing??? Also do some measurements between the axles, the 8.8 may have a longer snout. Thats just some immediate thoughts for now.

I would put it down to a length difference, damaged gear, ABS sensor/wheel damaged, or possible pinion angle.
One thing I noticed, is that I hear a rattle when I rev it a little in park and neutral. Don't like the sound of that, literally

One of my more mechanically advanced friends looked over the 8.8 and put a new gasket on and sealed it up. Said it looked good. Didn't even get it installed in time though
Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I would check lengths, I have a feeling there may have been a slight difference causing the yoke to do some damage to the trans.

Otherwise I would mark it as a fluke....

Quick Reply: Help diagnose my problem