4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tune up and recommended tires for mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune up and recommended tires for mustang GT

I bought a 97 mustang GT and want to do a tune up and buy new tires.
What kind of brands should I consider when looking for spark plugs, oil, wires, tires, etc.

The engine has 149,xxx miles on it. I just bought a new battery yesterday too because the old one was going ou; It was the OEM battery.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM
sonicx
speed'n

You could flush the cooling system, tranny flush, distributor cap, check rotors/ brakes, Only replace the coils if they are bad.... sounds like your on the right track. Overall op your question is all based upon personnal preference. Everyone is going to tell you something different. So really just pick what you want.

I'll tell you want i've used altho someone may disagree with me & thats totally fine.

For spark plugs: You could go to autozone or similar place get a set of autolite plugs OR if it were I, I'd get a motorcraft spark plus, motorcraft is the best for our cars imo.

FYI: For high mileage i'd go w/ synthetic oil... it'll lubricate the engine quicker and easier. But once you've gone synthetic it's recommended to stay with synthetic. As for choices, it depends on how much you wanna spend. If $$$ doesn't matter go w/ royal purple or Amsoil. I've gone wwith motorcraft, mobile 1, and penz. It just depends... everyone will tell you something different.

For batteries: optima (yellow top) or motorcraft, interstate. All good batteries.

Like what are you looking for in tires? A street tire, drag tire, what? I personally like
Nittos 555's and the Bridgestone Potenzas, i could name a few more but thats really hard to say unlike batteries and oil choices. My overall advice is to go into the tire section on MF and search around.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by sonicx
"... Like what are you looking for in tires? A street tire, drag tire, what? I personally like
Nittos 555's and the Bridgestone Potenzas, i could name a few more but thats really hard to say unlike batteries and oil choices. My overall advice is to go into the tire section on MF and search around.

Good luck.
^ This.... To make a recommendation on tires, we need to know what kind of driving you do, silly

Jazzer... dissapointed sonic did not say to pepe The Jazzers Choosing a new tire thead But forgives him anyway, because he sent him to cold/lonely little part of MF's world in the Tires and Wheels section
Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
FYI: For high mileage i'd go w/ synthetic oil... it'll lubricate the engine quicker and easier. But once you've gone synthetic it's recommended to stay with synthetic. As for choices, it depends on how much you wanna spend. If $$$ doesn't matter go w/ royal purple or Amsoil. I've gone wwith motorcraft, mobile 1, and penz. It just depends... everyone will tell you something different.
For a high mileage motor you may want to use a high mileage oil. He can go synthetic if he wants to go longer between changes, but it wont lubricrate the engine quicker. Also you dont have to stay with a syn. oil when you use it. Thats just a myth that started, god knows when.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ This.... To make a recommendation on tires, we need to know what kind of driving you do, silly

Jazzer... dissapointed sonic did not say to pepe The Jazzers Choosing a new tire thead But forgives him anyway, because he sent him to cold/lonely little part of MF's world in the Tires and Wheels section
Jazzer, my old friend. I apologize! I had you in mind while I was tying. I don't get over to the tire/wheel section too often. I just assumed if i sent op over there you'd take him under you wing because that's your home away from home.

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
For a high mileage motor you may want to use a high mileage oil. He can go synthetic if he wants to go longer between changes, but it wont lubricrate the engine quicker. Also you dont have to stay with a syn. oil when you use it. Thats just a myth that started, god knows when.
I shouldn't be so naive . Thanks for the correction sir.

Last edited by sonicx; 11-22-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:23 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

For oil you can't beat Motorcraft blend and a MC filter
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

I recommend using Ford Motorcraft or Autolite spark plugs.
I'm willing to bet your fuel filter is dirty and needs to be replaced.
Make sure you get a Ford Motorcraft fuel filter and you could also replace
your PCV valve with a Ford Motorcraft PCV valve.I would definitley
consider using a Synthetic motor oil it may not lubricrate your engine quicker
but,it will protect better.For the money I think you can't beat using
Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and a Ford Motorcraft oil filter.
The best tires I have ever used are the 245/45/17 Yokohama S Drive tires
I love them.Make sure you do all of your maintenance if you want your mustang to last.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate all the remarks. This is my second car and first American car. I already like the fact that it's American made and want to make it last as long as possible I take pride in having an upkept vehicle. I hear royal purple is the best but didn't know motorcraft is the preferred brand for switching out parts.

I might try royal purple and WILL get motorcraft filters.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't start going to crazy beyond an oil/ trans fluid change and a good tune up with plugs and wires (motorcraft). It seems like when you start to change **** more problems occur. Personally I love the BFG G-force sports, great tires and you're not going to spend 200/tire.

btw, motorcraft is the brand of parts that ford uses, so naturally replacing stock for stock parts these are going to work the best.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Get the K&N oil filter, that nut on the end is a life saver.

Quick Reply: Tune up and recommended tires for mustang GT