4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions about my clutch/brake pedal assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:01 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Default questions about my clutch/brake pedal assembly

i am switching from an auto to a manual and have some questions about the clutch/brake pedal assembly i picked up. i have never seen one for these cars before, so i have no basis of comparason. my first and easiest question is, in the first picture, what plugs into those two sockets on the top left? are they plugs that are already in my car, or will i need to pick up some harnesses from the junkyard?

second, in the second picture, there is a pressure sensor on the right hand side. what is this for? is this where the wires go to keep power from going to the starter if the clutch is not pushed in?

the third question is a little more involved. in the first picture, you can see a brass plate and a bolt on the bottom right. this bolt is keeping the clutch from disengaging all the way. is this stock? the plate looks manufactered for the area it's in, but the bolts holding it in do not. in the second picture, you can see that the clutch is not even touching the sensor because the bolt is keeping it from disengaging that far.

any help is appriciated guys. pictures of other clutch pedal assemblies would help me also!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The switch the first photo is the Clutch Pedal Position switch (connector C257 see below), it is used by the starter interlock--if you habitually shift into neutral and step on the clutch when starting the car (as my grandfather taught me to do 50 years ago), then you do not need it.

On the automatic transmission models there seems to be a jumper across the two connectors that plug into this switch (at C263).

The gray switch in the second photo is the Clutch Cut-off switch (C2272), it is used to signal the cruise control that the clutch pedal has been depressed. This is also shown as have a jumper at C2076.

The cadmium plated thingy is not OEM as you have suspected--it is an after market clutch pedal position adjuster--designed to keep former Jap econobox owners (who have never driven a real car) from whining about how the clutch pedal is "higher than" the brake pedal.

Here's what the connections look like (from the '03 shop manual):

Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

i wish you were here last week so you could have saved me the headache of getting this info on the corral lol. awesome, now i know that there are two jumpers that i can use.

now, there is a starter interlock that goes to the automatic trans as well. which do you think will be easier: moving the jumper to the wires that go to the automatic shifter, and just plugging in the clutch cable, or cutting the wires that go to the auto shifter and running those to the clutch cable, leaving the original jumper in tact? both would accomplish the same goal.

now, as far as the cruise control cutoff goes, how difficult would that jumper be to get to? is it right up against the firewall, as it appears? will i need to remove the dashboard to get to it? i want this car to be wired and work exactly if it came with a manual trans, to the point that it will confuse a ford tech when they go to work on it (not that that's an overly difficuly job to do, mind you :-P)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:42 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

also, any idea what that third and final plug is for? no one can seem to identify it. something is plugged into it on the manuals, but no one can figure out what. when the clutch is pushed in, it is an open circuit, which is opposite from the starter interlock, which is right next to it, but closed when the clutch is pushed in. any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I was ill for a good part of last week (adverse reaction to some new meds)--sorry I missed your posting...

The auto tranny starter interlock is handled by the Digital Transmission Range sensor, located on the transmission (a dangling wire now that you are installing a manual transmission)--it looks to me as though you will need a new stub harness to fool the Ford techs...

Auto harness:

Manual harness:

Connector C1168 is the common connection. Harness #7C078 is used on the auto, harness #15525 on the 5-speed...
Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by IRSmart
also, any idea what that third and final plug is for? no one can seem to identify it. something is plugged into it on the manuals, but no one can figure out what. when the clutch is pushed in, it is an open circuit, which is opposite from the starter interlock, which is right next to it, but closed when the clutch is pushed in. any thoughts?
I do not believe there is anything connected to that, it is just that it's a single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch and that is the normally open unused pole...
Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

ok, cool. according to the how-to that i read on moddedmustangs.com, i just need to cut off the plugs at C1168 and C1148 and replace them with the ones from the automatic trans' harness. the reason is, they're shaped differently and won't plug in. so you can either modify your existing auto's harness, or do what i'm doing, and buy a spare, modify the manual's harness before it ever goes into the shop, then when swap time comes, the manual will plug right into the car. so i won't have any dangling harnesses at all. other than the crimps under the car, no evidence that this was ever an automatic will remain (other than the vin i think lol).
Old 12-19-2010, 04:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There's nothing in the VIN that identifies the transmission (without going back to Ford to get the "as-built" specs), however the door plate does; TR code Kxxxx = 3650, code Txxxx (AOD) or Pxxxx (AODE) are autos...