Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto to manual, v6 to v8... Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Stang 007

Default Auto to manual, v6 to v8... Too Much?

Naturally I often picture my automatic v6 with a v8 manual transmission. That would be awesome. Unfortunatly that is not the case.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang and would die for it, but these thoughts always pop into my head.

How much would it be to go from a v6 to v8? And how much would it be transferring to a manual transmission?

Before you say, "Well it would be cheaper to just sell the car you got and buy another one," This car is sentimentally attached to me because my parents bought it for me.

To be honest, I am just curious and want to know the prices for these things. I wouldn't want the BEST manual transmission, or the BEST v8 engine. (Remember, I do not have the money for this at the moment, but its a cool dream)

I mean, wouldn't it be worth it to buy a v8 then a supercharger (Or Turbo I guess, not sure what would be best)? It's like, ya my v6 has the x-charger, and ya I can beat a stock GT now, but what if that GT has been modded as well? Then what?

Let me know your thoughts guys. Have any of you ever thought about doing this?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Just the tranny swap alone has been stated to be in the $5k-$6k range including labor. I'd guess at doubling that for engine and tranny. But then you'd have to upgrade suspension, brakes and most likely the PCM. You could get yourself a lot of car for that money and a trade.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Stang 007, we understand your attachment with your car, but when you start transforming major parts, it will become expensive and possible lead to headaches down the road. You asked in an earlier post if certain parts would void your warranty. By switching out all the internals would definitely void it.
If you truly want the sound and hp of a V8, the best solution would be to sell your car and get what you want.
Yes, getting an X-Charger can beat a stock GT, but what if you had a stock GT? That won't beat a modified GT, so the story really never ends. There will always be cars out there that are faster than yours.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Stang 007

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Stang 007, we understand your attachment with your car, but when you start transforming major parts, it will become expensive and possible lead to headaches down the road. You asked in an earlier post if certain parts would void your warranty. By switching out all the internals would definitely void it.
If you truly want the sound and hp of a V8, the best solution would be to sell your car and get what you want.
Yes, getting an X-Charger can beat a stock GT, but what if you had a stock GT? That won't beat a modified GT, so the story really never ends. There will always be cars out there that are faster than yours.
Ya, it would be a lot of money and a terrible headache. I am thinking about just modding and keeping this car for a couple of years, then perhaps getting something with a bigger engine. Anyways, do you think modding my mustang will depreciate its value for later trade?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Trade and buy a GT or, if you want to be completely unique, spend a ton of money and swap something ridiculous in there a like a 525 FORD HEMI and mate it to a 6 speed

Seriously, trading is a much cheaper option.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Stang 007

Originally Posted by JCON
Trade and buy a GT or, if you want to be completely unique, spend a ton of money and swap something ridiculous in there a like a 525 FORD HEMI and mate it to a 6 speed

Seriously, trading is a much cheaper option.
Ya man, I agree. To be honest, I don't really trust myself with that kinda speed anyway lol. I think its a smart idea for me to start out a little smaller. I'm a very reasonable teenager, hehe... I have a heavy foot as my parents say, so i think its a good start.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I've entertained the idea but there's a lot more to it than just the tranny and engine. You'd need an 8.8 rear (I guess you already have one with the X-charger), brakes, driveshaft, ECU, PCM, suspension, as Nuke said, and all the goodies. It would cost a pretty penny. If you're mechanically inclined, you could save a good chunk on labor, but it still would be a hell of a swap. If you're serious about it, there's a few guys on Mustangcollective that have completed what you want to do.

If you were to sell your X-charger, you could always use that money for a motor/trans
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

How much would you sell it for and what version is it?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Stang 007

Oh woops, I didn't mean to lead on that I owned an x-charger. I do not lol, wish I did though. I was saying that IF I had an X-charger. Sorry about that
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I eventually will be putting a v8 in my car, I will be getting a wrecked gt and swapping everything over, you would need the motor, tranny, rear-end, driveshaft, engine harness, pcm, a/c lines to do it. It is possible to do it, to some people this seems like a headache, but I see it as a challenge.

Quick Reply: Auto to manual, v6 to v8... Too Much?