Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Power Steering Whine

Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
03 Convert6

Default Power Steering Whine

Got an 03, Convertible with the V6. It has what I've heard is a common problem, noisy whine from the Power Steering pump. I've been told by three different shops and the local Ford dealer that changing the pump may or may not fix the problem. I have read on several sites that it is no easy thing to correct and some have even changed the Steering Rack to make the steering Manual. The Steering, itself, is fine, smooth and responsive.

I'm too old and too poor to do something like a major change of hardware. I tried Lucas, no help. I've tried full replacement with the Valvoline Synthetic PS Fluid, it helped, some. I have heard, just recently, that M&B TrickShift, Original, ATF has been known to work very well.

Does anyone have experience with this Fluid as a Fix???

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Ford specs ATF in all of their power steering racks. Had a brother in law with a Ford F250, and a noisy PS pump. I did a complete swap of the fluid, poured in Amsoil Synthetic ATF, and the noise was gone. The second benefit was how much easier it was to turn the steering wheel while not moving. He was stoked! My advice is to pull a hose, start up the car, and get most of the fluid out of the rack. Refill, done. Did my 2008 GT as well, and soon to do the 2009 Shelby.

Amsoil Synthetic ATF

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 01-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
03 Convert6

Cool 3 days and so far it looks good

It's been 3 going on 4 days since I changed fluid, as much as I could with a turkey baster and the somewhat cumbersome remove, replace, run, rotate the steering wheel, remove, replace, run, rotate the steering wheel method. I put in a total of 2 quarts of M&B TrickShift Original. I still have 1 quart and, when the weather warms, I may add it using the same method. I have had a reduction in the whine. When first started, the whine is very audible at idle but shortly begins to quiet and continues to do so as the engine, and steering fluid warms. It is not heard while driving, which a great improvement and barely detectable at idle. I feel I'm hearing it because I am listening for it.

I think the jury is still out as to this being the end all be all but it is sure better by far.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I did a complete service on a 2005 Trailblazer today. GM recommends power steering fluid for their racks. Just for experimental purposes, I tried Amsoil ATF. The truck did not like this at all. The PS pump whined terribly. I flushed the system and poured in power steering fluid, and it was silent again.

Weird, Ford is exactly the opposite. I seriously want to know what the difference is between the two racks.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Lol would that explain why I keep having a problem with this 03 taurus boiling fluid over the cap, I put power steering fluid in it.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
03 Convert6

Default Boil Over?

That's strange. Is there any possibility the O'Ring seal around the cap is missing and it is just slopping out versus boiling out? I've added a gasket between the lip of the Reservoir and the flange of the cap because the fit is loose.

During my quest to find an answer to my Whine, I over filled the reservoir, a little, and some of that forced it's way out, over the course of a week or so. I noticed spotting on the garage floor and determined I had too much fluid in the thing. Good luck on that.

I'm looking to sell my 03 and the whine was troubling from a perception point of view. The steering has always functioned smoothly.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Lol would that explain why I keep having a problem with this 03 taurus boiling fluid over the cap, I put power steering fluid in it.
Possibly

ATF only in Ford power steering racks.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by 03 Convert6
That's strange. Is there any possibility the O'Ring seal around the cap is missing and it is just slopping out versus boiling out? I've added a gasket between the lip of the Reservoir and the flange of the cap because the fit is loose.

During my quest to find an answer to my Whine, I over filled the reservoir, a little, and some of that forced it's way out, over the course of a week or so. I noticed spotting on the garage floor and determined I had too much fluid in the thing. Good luck on that.

I'm looking to sell my 03 and the whine was troubling from a perception point of view. The steering has always functioned smoothly.
The 3.0l fords have a wheep hole/vent hole on the top of the cap this is where it was coming out, the fluid was bubbly and milky. After researching it appears its a common issue with the taurus and sable and indicated air trapped in the system. I flushed the old fluid and added ATF this weekend and after a long and very PITA job of bleeding the air everything is back to normal.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

good to hear.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Uber,

is the whine gone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Whine