4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 GT engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Default 98 GT engine swap

Hey guys,

I came across the opportunity to buy a 97 Cobra that was in a minor accident, the body is pretty smashed up but all of the mechanical stuff is 100% working. it only has 70k miles on it which is half of the miles my engine has (and my engine has ahorrible ticking noise). it also has a borla exhaust with it which would sound quite nice lol

I am currently considering buying the Cobra and swapping the engine/trans and the brakes into my 1998 GT. I am just wondering if this is possible and how much it would all end up costing to get the engines swapped?

I am also looking at what appears to be a brand new 4.6 modular engine with PI heads, but I dont know which engine would be better.

I can also just get the car sent in and get the quirks fixed on it, but some speed increase would be nice.

So in all of your opinion which option should I go with? The nice thing about the cobra is I could use parts from it to fix alot of my cars problems.

Thanks,
DMD
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

hopefully bramas chimes in. he swapped a 4v into his sn95 gt
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

You shouldn't really need much. You already have the motor/tranny of the cobra. All mounts should be the same. You would still retain the original computer and all but just do a tune for the cobra engine. That's what I did with mine as my car started as a stock 99 2v GT and now it has an 04 cobra motor/tranny. Go for it!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Okay sweet thanks, I was just worried because I noticed the cobra's have a stabilizer bar over the engine which mine doesnt, how much do you think it would cost me to get the engine, trans, exhaust and the drive shaft put into my car? and also have the computer tuned?

Oh and how hard would this engine swap be to do myself? My dad is an ex-mechanic who has taken engines out countless times but then again that was a long time ago on old muscle cars

Last edited by DutchManDann; 02-21-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Yes, it's doable. It's actually easy to do too. I would definitely go with the cobra motor over a PI engine. I have had both and the 4V blows the PI off the road.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I did the same swap, the motor is a direct swap especially since you have the ECU and wirring. Drop the motor in, plug in the ecu and go. The transmission are identical with the exception of a different tail shaft on the cobra t45. They screwed up with measurements on the gt thats why it needs that goofy a$$ off center trans mount that you can only get at the dealer.

Last edited by uberstang1; 02-21-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

don't pay someone to swap it. It is a direct swap and very easy to do. pull the motor leaving the engine wiring harness on the engine. Pull that crappy 2V out put the 4V in and plug it into the firewall. Pull the ECM out and put the Cobra ECM in. Either put your T45 back in or swap the tail shafts (allot more involved). And go have fun
Old 02-21-2011, 11:02 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Hmm okay sounds like my dad and I can do it, I would like to use the trans from the cobra because it has half the miles on it, and a short throw shifter. My trans is kinda screwed up.

Oh and the Cobra has an aluminum driveshaft, would it benefit me at all to swap mine with the aluminum one?

Last edited by DutchManDann; 02-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DutchManDann
Hmm okay sounds like my dad and I can do it, I would like to use the trans from the cobra because it has half the miles on it, and a short throw shifter. My trans is kinda screwed up.

Oh and the Cobra has an aluminum driveshaft, would it benefit me at all to swap mine with the aluminum one?
Yeah, definitely swap the shaft.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
don't pay someone to swap it. It is a direct swap and very easy to do. pull the motor leaving the engine wiring harness on the engine. Pull that crappy 2V out put the 4V in and plug it into the firewall. Pull the ECM out and put the Cobra ECM in. Either put your T45 back in or swap the tail shafts (allot more involved). And go have fun
If your ECM is good then don't bother swapping it. Just add a tune that's for your new cobra motor (4v) and your good to go. Easy swap brotha. If your dad used to be a mechanic and pulled engines out before the. This should be a breeze

Quick Reply: 98 GT engine swap